Origami Tanteidan magazine?

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
origami94

Origami Tanteidan magazine?

Post by origami94 »

Hey guys, One thing that I've noticed about all this cool origami that most of you do, is that some of them are diagrammed in an origami tandeidan magazine or something. But whenever I go to google to try and find out what it is, it always brings me to some foreign websites, and most of them are untranslatable for me. My question: Is there some way that I can get ahold of this collection of books or magazines? I'm fourteen, so I can't buy things online, and my parents aren't very fond with the Idea of origami, so I know that they won't buy it for me, so is there some way that I can do this without any of the above?
I'm pretty sure there is more to life than folding origami, and I plan on finding out what that is if I grow up.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The short answer: No.
The long answer, maybe you are able to go to a convention that eventually could sell them, but chances are rather low. Origami Tanteidan is the Japanese Academic Society (JOAS) that brings out a bimonthly magazine that can be obtained by a one year subscription (one year = one volume = six magazines) that's about 50$. Unfortunately they only accept international postal money orders, but fortunately June Sakamoto offers the possibility to send her the money via Paypal.
The organisation also has a yearly convention accompanied by a convention book containing models of various authors. You can buy them for example at Nicolas Terry's shop or various other places, but I fear non of them will be anywhere near you.
origami94

Post by origami94 »

Man, that just stinks!!! I was really really hoping to get ahold of some of the diagrams in there, because some of it is just fasinating and I would love to try it out. It sucks to be fourteen....
I'm pretty sure there is more to life than folding origami, and I plan on finding out what that is if I grow up.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, we all have been (or will be sooner or later) that age and it doesn't help to swear...
origami94

Post by origami94 »

:? I didn't swear :? unless you say suck is a swear word. And By The Way, I don't curse, or swear.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Hey kid, cool down. Lots of us have been there.

Okay, so there are Tanteidan Books and there are the Magazines. To buy anything from JOAS (magazines) or Origami House (Books) you have to send an International Postal Money order (IPMO) Something about Japan not liking credit cards. You can get an IPMO at the post office if you live in the States. It costs like $3 on top of the value. So a $40 IPMO would be around $43 (I'm not sure about the actual numbers, but that's about what I remember). Anyhow, one way of getting around this is to contact June Sakamoto, our "liaison" to JOAS/Origami House. She can accept a check or PayPal payment. If you don't have your own bank account though, this will obviously cause problems. If you can get the cash though, you should be able to get it done at the post office.

Some helpful links:
http://www.origamihouse.jp/book/original/house.html
http://www.origamihouse.jp/about/hanbai/hanbai_e.html

http://origami.gr.jp/JOAS/subscribe-e.html
origami94

Post by origami94 »

Thanks! I do have a checking account, so would a debit card work n the whole paypal system? I'm asking cuz I've never used it, but it sounds like you use a credit card, so I was wondering if debit card would work too? And I really did lose my cool, I was just informing that I don't swear. :)
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Oh, I also meant to add that you can buy the Tanteidan books from Nicolas Terry's shop at http://www.origami-shop.com . He can accept Paypal and Credit Card.

Anyhow, you don't need a credit card on Paypal. When you're making a payment choose eCheck. Can't remember if you enter your bank account number or the debit card number, but I remember I didn't use a credit card the one time I ordered something. Check paypal.com to see what to do.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

On A different topic: if you get to a Web site that has a language you can't read, then you can use the Google Translation tools.

1. OPen Google in a browser window.
2. NOte that on the right side of the search bar, the bottom small is Language Tools. Click that.
3. You will see at least 3 translation options, the third one will translate a Web page, from one language (menu-selectable) to another.
4. So, select Japanese ... or whatever, and then go to the Web site that you can't read, then cut the Link and come back & paste it into the search bar.

The translation isn't perfect, and it won't translate word that are on pictures, but it does open up another world of origami to explore.... across many nations.

- Hank Simon

(But you can't find the magazines or books on these sites, you still have to buy them... but you may locate some CPs.)
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Stateside, probably the easiest way to get the Tanteidan Collections that are still in print is from Sasugabookstore:

http://www.sasugabooks.com

Although they tend to be a little more expensive. I don't know with the euro conversion if Nicolas Terry's shop would be cheaper.
plastgeek

Post by plastgeek »

Hi, I just have a question about Tanteidan that I've never gotten answered.
If you get a subscription to the magazine halfway through or near the end of the season, do you get the past magazines from the volume that you missed?
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

From my experience, yes. When I first started my membership / subscription it was in the middle of a year. I got the previous issues that I had missed and the remaining for that year. You can also purchase previous years (though only in full year sets... you can't buy just one issue). They have a limited supply of previous years and I'm not sure how far back they currently go. I'd say no further than 3 to 4 years, but I'm not sure. Hope this helps!
origami94

Post by origami94 »

Thanks guys!!! I can now get these books when I get enough money, Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Froy

Post by Froy »

I have e-mailed them (a week ago) about the payment options and I don't have any answer from them yet. :(

Any suggestion?
Pobody's nerfect.

My Flickr
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Whom did you email? Tanteidan? I did the same thing too...and got no reply. I even tried emailing in Japanese (basic Japanese at least...) and still no reply.

However, thanks to this forum, I was able to open up a subscription through June Sakamoto.
I also do card models -- http://cutfoldpaste.blogspot.com