Metallic or shiny tissue paper?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
stevieboy1

Metallic or shiny tissue paper?

Post by stevieboy1 »

Hi all just wondered if there is such a thing as metallic or shiny tissue paper??

I'd like to make up some tissue foil for making bugs and insects and wanted to make some shiny metallic type but I don't know if you can get metallic or shiny tissue paper?? I have looked about but not had any luck. :cry: I have got some gold and silver but wanted other colours.

Kind regards
Steve

Moderator comment: corrected spelling so that the post is easier to find for people via search
CatEater

Post by CatEater »

Do you mean tissue foil? because that is relativly easy to make and depending on the foil you use it is indeed shiney
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

LOL :wink:

I am making tissue foil but what i want is shiney or metalic tissur paper to stick to the foil so i have shiney metalic looking tissure foli when its made up.

I want it for doing some insects so that i can work black one side for there legs heads etc and metalic and shiny colours for there shells body armor etc etc :wink:

Kind regards
Steve
kitsune134

Post by kitsune134 »

Well, in the US there is very thin plastic sold as tissue paper, and it is indeed very shiny. I guess that if you glue foil on the back of it, the plastic might fold very well, folding it as-is will make most of your creases in accurate as it tends to only stay flat or folded up like it is in its package.
I don't fail, I succeed in finding what doesn't work!
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

The brand of tissue paper I use also has some gold and silver sheets, but they definitely don't act much like the same. It's thicker and leaves residue on your hands, so be careful.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I'm not sure if I've seen metallic tissue paper in colors other than gold, silver, and copper.

What you can do is make tissue-foil from some blue/green/red etc. foil. Just attach the layer of tissue paper to the white side of the foil. It folds much more properly than your typical tissue-foil--less smushing things about. You might also be able to use really thin, transparent white tissue paper directly on the foil side if it shows it through. The materials you're using are cheap enough that you can experiment.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Yup, you get shiny tissue paper in many colours. Great for insects - greens, brown, and a blue-y colour also. I folded most of Lang's Insects and their Kin from this tissue paper, but don't have any examples with me to show you.
I have seen some of this tissue paper in Michaels only in North America. It's alot more expensive than ordinary tissue.
But yea, you do certainly get it!
Good luck
Finward

Post by Finward »

Well, I've never seen tissue in metallic colors, but I know that if you polish a model folded with tissue - foil, tissue becomes translucent and becomes a really atractive metallic color. Of course, i dont know the posture of purism to this technique, but works fine!
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

well if its out there and it exists i definetly want to get hold of some. ive looked around here in the uk for it but havent found any other than the gold silver and bronze but i already got them. :cry:

I want the reds greens, yellows, and blues if if i can :wink:

kind regards
Steve
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

I've seen here in Canada. I never bought any because it's really expensive and I'm just not there yet in my skill. Probably too far for you

I heard of this place in Austrailia. I think they make paper themselves. maybe they can do custom orders

http://www.amazingpaper.com.au/index.html
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Finward, what do you use to polish the tissue paper? It sounds interesting to me.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Just a suggestion...
You might have more luck if you look for "shiny" or "metallic" tissue paper... instead of "shiney" or "metalic"... :roll:
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

lol, well, I once got a pack of, like, 200 sheets, and it had about 5 of gold and silver. I got it at Michaels, and it is ok to fold just by itself. origamimasterjared is right, however, and this stuff leaves a residue on your hands when you are done with it. my sheet of tissue foil that I made with it had a different texture than most tissue foil that I make.
Finward

Post by Finward »

I used to use (not anymore, all my cans dried solid) polyurethane varnish.