Birthday Origami book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origami-artist-galen

Birthday Origami book

Post by origami-artist-galen »

I know this was a bit late, but I finally decided to purchase an origami book for my birthday (Feb. 7). It will be the first new origami book that I bought for two years (last one being Origami Fantasy). There were three books that I was mainly thinking of: Passion Origami, Origami for Interpreters and License to Fold. In the end I decided upon License to Fold, mainly because of Nguyen Hung Cuong's eagle. I'm just wondering If I chose the best one. I thought about asking everyone on the forum from the get go, but that would probably make the decision even harder. Any thoughts?
Max

Post by Max »

I would recommend Origami for Interpreters for its lifelike models and a really good part about shaping and breathing life into them.
gordigami

Birthday origami book

Post by gordigami »

All three books are excellent !
You might want to check out Gilad's book review site, evaluate which models pique your interest.
Probably boils down to which models that you absolutely have to fold !
http://www.giladorigami.com/Books_default.html
( I'd simplify things, just buy all three...)
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
origami-artist-galen

Thanks for the replies!
Max: I was sooo close to buying that one and like I said, it was an incredibly hard decision.

gordigami: Yeah Gilad's book reviews are excellent, but I couldn't find a License to Fold entry. I made my choice by looking at the four color pages preview at the origami-shop home. Which reminds me, I usually order from Origami USA, any idea how long it will take to arrive here in Montana? (I selected "Traditional Shipping"). I could buy all three, but I feel it's a little bit too pricey.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

I'd go for Licence to Fold just for the Gorilla! (Just kidding)!

They are all 3 great books and all need to be on your bookshelf!

I got my copy about 2 weeks after it was sent, came well packaged and undamaged.
gordigami

Birthday origami book

Post by gordigami »

Sorry that Gilad hasn't reviewed it yet.
Very probably, neither Amazon nor Origami USA carry Licence to Fold yet, and you will have to order it, if that is your choice, from Nicolas Terry's site. http://origami-shop.com/
Will take about 3 weeks.
Again, I encourage a close look at all the models of each book before making your selection. They're all great, boils down to your personal preference.
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

One of the reasons that I bought Licence to Fold was for Giang Dinh's Dreaming Cat (which I want to modify into his Dreaming Dog).

Based on your talent, I think that you will enjoy and learn from this book, because a few models offer new techniques that you can build variation upon. Plus, there is the Code...

Unfortunately, I have completed neither the Dreaming Cat nor the Code.

- Hank Simon
origami-artist-galen

I can't believe it! My book arrived in the mailbox just now! I haven't opened it up yet because I still have to wait till after dinner time. But I have to say thank you soooo much Nicolas Terry!!!