Satoshi Kamiya

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Satoshi Kamiya

Post by ftangdude55 »

Has anybody noticed that Kamiya's last name starts with "kami"?
I just did, and so I went to a Japanese translator on the internet and put in his name.
And these are the results:

Kamiya: Paper store
Satoshi: Guidance; admonition

Seems fitting, doesn't it? :)
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The name Kamiya is composed of two Kanji characters: Kami and Tani. These mean "God" and "Valley". It would indeed be fitting if it would mean Paper Shop, but I'm afraid it doesn't. :wink:
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

It looks like comments of my brother to English idioms. But in this case, we can nick him as "Papershop"... :lol:
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Ah, well. I was just using a phonetic translator.
Looks like the word "kami" had only the paper related version plugged into the translator's memory. :lol: Silly translator.
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
SilverRazor

Post by SilverRazor »

AFAIK, Japanese names actually can mean their kanji native meaning, or in some cases something else with similar reading.
Like in this case, kami is both god and paper, but they use different kanji for each. Most of the kanji also have different readings depending on the context. Some kanji has special reading if used in names. It's a total mess for anyone far from Japanese language 8) In fact, in some cases even native Japanese people don't know for sure how to read a specific name.
For example, if any of you have watched anime Death Note, the protagonist's name is Yagami Light(Raito). The kanji for his first name is actually a kanji for moon(tsuki), but in the name it takes a non-standard reading - raito.
My Origami Dragon blog. The awesome beauty of the origami dragon! Behold! :D
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Japanese names have always confused me. It seems that it is just as common to put their last name before the first one. For example, I have no idea what Hojyo Takashi's first name is, I always assumed it was Hojyo, but ive seen it written other ways too.
SilverRazor

Post by SilverRazor »

Well, Takashi is a quite common first name 8)
Japanese always write last name before first name. The confusion is mostly due to the fact that when writing in English context, some folks tend to write them in western style, and also not everyone knows about the Japanese name order. It is actually similar to the Chinese name order - they put last name first as well.
My Origami Dragon blog. The awesome beauty of the origami dragon! Behold! :D
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Here is a list by Gilad Aharoni of various Japanese Origami Creators that distinguishes between surname and firstname: http://www.giladorigami.com/A_Origami_Authors.pdf