The new tanteidan convention book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
T

The new tanteidan convention book

Post by T »

i just went to origami housze and noticed that the new tanteidan convention book is available!

http://www.origamihouse.jp/book/origina ... yu_11.html

It looks pretty good and has a nice model list including Satoshi Kamiya's

Sleipnir
http://www.folders.jp/g/2003/sleipnir016.html
which is pretty amazing. (Is it from a film or something or did he make up the idea of a multi legged horse?)

I dont know when this came out but has anyone got a hold of it yet?

How long does it take before these become available on sasuga?
Aurèle

Post by Aurèle »

I have order it last week from France. I hope I will receive it in two weeks. There is also a very poetic modular model by Kawasaki I have seen at Master of Origami, seeds in the wind. It is simply to reproduce with a picture, but maybe the diagram give a better method to block the model.

Aurele
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

T wrote:Is it from a film or something or did he make up the idea of a multi legged horse?
He got it from a video game, but the original Sleipnir is the horse ridden by Odin, king of the Norse gods.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Norse Mythology: Odin rode an eight-legged horse called Sleipnir.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleipnir
T

Post by T »

Hmm I just checked the price on origami house, it is only $30 which is a great price.

I never noticed that sasuga overcharges quite a lot. Usually tanteidan convention books cost $40 + up to $20 for postage and packing.

So are sasuga charges a lot more than origami house for all of these books or is this convention book unusually cheap?
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

hey t yes i noticed that also but notice thatit is is also 30 euros on origami house. i think euros are like 1.4 times a dollar so on sasuga they just changed 30 euros to 42 $. i am not sure about this but this is my idea.
T

Post by T »

Oh that makes more sense,

so let me just check, if someone lives in Europe (UK, or spain for example) do they have to pay the (more expensive) Euro price rather than the cheaper $30? It doesn't say on the website that a Europe based buyer can't pay the $30 bill.

Even if this is where sasuga gets the $42 bill it still doesnt count for the extra postage and packing or for the fact that most sasuga buyers are in America and hence could get it $12 cheaper... Or perhaps this is just sasuga's fair way of making their profit...
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

We can only speculate. If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to ask Sasuga directly.

But since we're all making random guesses anyway, here's mine:
If Sasuga is like other import bookstores, they have costs involved in running the store. One of the biggest costs is inventory: they have to stock the books they order for sale, so they have to buy a bunch of them. This costs money that they can't make back quickly, because most import books sell slowly over time. Thus, the higher price for each book because they have to try to offset the initial outlay of funds. Origami House, OTOH, is the publisher, so they can simply sell it at their regular price.
T

Post by T »

Firstly I would like to say that i am not against sasuga, In fact Ive bought all my Japanese books from them.

What I now wonder is why people aren't simply buying from the cheaper origami house when sasuga charges more.

The only reason I can think of is that with sasuga you can pay online whilst with origami house you can't. Also I think sasuga delivers much quicker than origami house (but I do not know for sure)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

T wrote:What I now wonder is why people aren't simply buying from the cheaper origami house when sasuga charges more.
It may end up being more expensive to buy from Origami House. The shipping rates are calculated differently, and banks usually charge an additional fee if paying by wire transfer or bank cheque, especially when it involves a foreign bank and currency exchange.
Aurèle

Post by Aurèle »

I have order the new Tanteidan Convention book at origamihouse last week. I am in France. I have paied for an international postal money order only: 30€ + 6.75€ for the operation. No currency exchange, and Shipping rate are iinclude in the price for international order,. Origami house has emailed me that my order has been posted tomorrow. It is not very expensive. I will recevine rapidly my books.
T

Post by T »

It is a good price but why did they charge 6.75 euros when shipping fee is included in the 30 euros?
Aurèle

Post by Aurèle »

it isn' charged by origamihouse, it is the cost for an internation postal money order
Nick

Post by Nick »

I picked one up whilst I was there - a fair amount of my designs in there, but it's not a problem since all but one fit on a single page :lol:

Interesting to see how my work compared with the technical marvels on display. I felt that whilst there are (as ever) a hard-core of super-complex devotees, the attendees were also appreciative of simple work. They were, without exception, serious folders - the general level of ability was higher than any other convention that I've been to.