Sunburst

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Sunburst

Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

[originally: Gallery of Sunburst]

Maybe I should've done it a long time ago, but I just decided to follow the trend with gallery-topics :lol:. So here's my official topic for my origami creations. For my first post, I have a huge update with very different type of models than usual.

Mushroom
Here's an update to the predecessor of my chess pieces. I use a technique where you first form a closed cylinder with vertical pleats. It's very useful in creating circular models and it's something I will probably use frequently in the future.

Umbrella
Uses the same technique mentionned. Actually, it has almost the same base as my mushroom, but without the color changes.

Sphere
Origami spheres are really rare... Anyway, this one is almost perfect, with the length and all. The shaping just needs a bit of work. The picture really don't do it justice though. Knowing the technique involved, I'm sure it's easy to figure out how it was made.

Candy cane
Incredibly simple model using the cylinder technique. In fact, the crease pattern for it consists only of vertical lines :lol:.

Pine Tree
This model uses yet again the cylinder technique, but is in some way level-based. More types of trees are coming by the way.

Catapult
One of my old models. This one is also my very first version : it didn't really need any updates at all. It also actually works : it can throw small objects at a distance of at least 1 meter. Oh, and yes, it is kami paper. I didn't use foil paper like usual since it needs to be rigid to be able to throw objects. There's an elastic at the base because the model doesn't hold by itself (curse you, kami paper!)

Lady of the Court
My final creation of the month is a boxpleated person. My goal was to be able to use flaps in front of the body effectively. Here, the flaps became two ribbons. I also like how the background color changes so much with each model.

legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

I love the mushroom! Its really looks like vincent's! The umbrella and pine tree are nice too. The lady of the court is pretty good too! You should create more boxpleated models, like mikiller.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

This cylinder technique sounds fascinating, can you give any more information about that? Or perhaps a diagram or folding video for one of the cylinder technique models? I really like the results!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thanks both!

legionzilla : As a matter of fact, I did create a lot of boxpleated models... They can be found in my gallery.
spiritofcat : There is an existing diagram which uses pretty much the same technique and can be found here http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/martini.pdf. The main difference is that I use a square instead of a rectangle. If you look at steps 13-14 of that diagram, my bases usually look just like that, except that the vertical creases are on the full length of the square. Also, I don't do what is shown in steps 15-17.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Thanks for the link, I think I get it now.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

The last two models of this month :

Asura
She's inspired by a character from Final Fantasy IV that's obviously inspired by hindu mythology. I don't think she refers to one divinity in particular though. Nevertheless, I mostly wanted to make a character with six arms and three faces, since it's something I never saw in origami.

Zombie
Here's something I wanted to fold for a while. It was also a good color-changing exercise. It came out pretty much the way I first imagined it, except with one more arm :lol:.

More pictures on my gallery.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Wow! Too cool designs. I really like the Asura, really detailed!
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Cool Zombie :shock:
This is good color changing model, i like it
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Love the Asura, it reminds me a little of something Hojyo Takashi would do. (Love the game that inspired it too :D )
Have you released any CPs of your amazing designs? I would love to try (and probably fail at shaping) some of them.
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

I also like the zombie very much, as mentioned, the colour changes are very well planned and executed. I also like the length & open nature of the jacket.
The pose is alos great, as it gives the character the feel of a George A Romero style zombie staggering endlessly forwards.
Well done.
"Had we but world enough and time..."
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

All of that is done with tissue foil, right? Is there some secret to folding well with tissue foil that I am missing? I have been using it for a couple years, and still have difficulty eliminating wrinkles-conversely, you seem to have no trouble. Great work!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thanks everyone! (A bit late, but I didn't have access to Internet this week).

Zoraz: I might release the zombie CP soon. Are there any particular models you'd like to try?
Jonnycakes: The secret to folding with tissue foil (at least mine) is to take your time inversing all the creases and eliminating all the wrinkles. The paper you use might have an impact on your folding too. I use two sheets of tissue paper glued to a square of aluminum foil. Is this what you use as well?
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Yes, that is what I use as well. I try to eliminate the wrinkles that I can and in general consider myself fairly meticulous, but sometimes it just is not possible. Most outer layers (the surfaces of the paper that show up in the final piece) have underlying layers of a different shape that form extra, unwanted lines above when wrinkles are flattened out. Also, some places are impossible to get to from both sides of the paper and are thus impossible to properly 'iron out'. I will probably be using tissue foil again in the near future, so I will try to be more careful then, but I don't know if it will make much of a difference.
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Sunburst wrote:Zoraz: I might release the zombie CP soon. Are there any particular models you'd like to try?
My favorites of your models are the green fairy and the mermaid, but any of them would be great.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Were those the ones that Sunburst posted for the Monthlu Challenge?