Is it possible to construct an archemedies screw?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
torchlithill

Is it possible to construct an archemedies screw?

Post by torchlithill »

I'm looking for a means to construct an Archimedies screw for a physics project, but am unsure if it can be feasably done with paper, the end result being as firm as possible, if possible. :?:
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

Never tried it, but it ought to be possible. Thoki Yenn's DNA molecule, glued inside a carboard tube, holes at the top and bottom?

I would suggest trying to lift something dry - rice, polystyrene balls, etc - rather than water.

You might also score more for your project if you spell Archimedes correctly :wink:
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

And an even better score if you get the name of the object right (Archimedean screw). ;)
torchlithill

Post by torchlithill »

I also made another mistake, I thought I signed up to a forum on origami, didn't realize that I signed on to the Nazi english class by mistake.
People who cut and fold paper who are :evil: should run with scissors!
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

And people who have no sense of humour shouldn't ask others to do their homework for them. Did you notice the smilies? 'Tis called a joke. :roll:

mleonard gave you a suggestion that might work. I didn't hear a thank you from you, either.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: REPLY

Post by origami_8 »

torchlithill wrote:I also made another mistake, I thought I signed up to a forum on origami, didn't realize that I signed on to the Nazi english class by mistake.
People who cut and fold paper who are :evil: should run with scissors!
Don´t be huffy!
I haven´t had the smallest idea what an "Archimedies screw" should be, so I used the google-picture-search function to find out. How surprisingly that I didn´t got any usefully results. My only thought was "shall anyone else help him", I didn´t thought on the possibility that you could have written it false. Without mleonard I wouldn´t have recognized. So be thankful that he pointed out that it should be an "Archimedean screw", instead of being angry.

And to your knowledge: I was working on a little instruction of how to fold it, but because of your offensive posting I gave up.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Making a working form from origami should be possible. It just depends on how much time and money you want to invest in it.

Mark mentioned that Thoki Yenn's DNA molecule might work. It could, but probably it's capable of transferring only fairly small loads.

Another one to try is Dave Brill's bolt.

Or, if you want to actually experiment, get a copy of Fuse's Spirals (either I or II), and try adapting the various models in there.

Of course, since you didn't mention that it has to be a folded origami version, you can simply construct one with sufficient cutting and gluing. You'll want to use a stiff paper like thick cardboard, or even corrugated cardboard. If it has to transport water, try coating the finished construct in outdoor, waterproof sealant or wax.
platypusguy

Post by platypusguy »

jeremy shafer has something just like that in origami to astonish and amuse it is called spring into action if i am correct
FunkeeFolder

Post by FunkeeFolder »

jeremy shafer has something just like that in origami to astonish and amuse it is called spring into action if i am correct
That's came to my mind first too! Though I think Joseph scared him away! :wink: This has actually got me in a gain knowledge kick and read up on the Archimedean screw. It is a great invention even better than sliced bread I think. :lol:

Funkee Folder
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

platypusguy wrote:jeremy shafer has something just like that in origami to astonish and amuse it is called spring into action if i am correct
Actually, that model is by Jeff Beynon, and it isn't in Jeremy's book.
FunkeeFolder wrote:Though I think Joseph scared him away! :wink:
Hmm, there's a little yellow blob at the end of your sentence. It doesn't look like it means anything. I'm going to start swearing at you now! :roll: :lol:
elf

Post by elf »

http://trumbore.com/spring/

I haven't tried folding one...yet.

If anyone has done so, would it hold up in use as a screw? I wonder whether the springing action would be a hindrance.
malachi

Post by malachi »

Well, I can tell you right now that the model, by itself, will not work as a screw. The spirals basically make distinct rings, not a continious spiral. You might be able to adapt the model to your purpose, but I really don't think it will work for you as is.