Post by Jonnycakes »

Thank you-there is a CP here.
topsu

Post by topsu »

I have made a dragon too: 8)

Sorry, the picture is a little unclear :oops:
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Nice one topsu. I like the detail on the feet.
Good head shape too.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Thank you! :D

I might try to get some better pics, at least from the head.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Nice dragon, topsu, it looks pretty much identical to jon's dragon, except that jon's spikes are much bigger (I really like the spikes, jon). Maybe, you could take a photo of the top view so that we can see the spikes. Good Job!
topsu

Post by topsu »

Oh yeah, I could do that. :)
The back has only 2 spikes though, because they are created by splitting a thick center point.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Great minds think alike, right? 8) Nice dragon-you managed to get more claws on yours than I did. Did you use horizontal pleats to get the claws and wings? EDIT: Never mind, I just looked at your flickr and saw that it was from a blintzed bird base with border grafts-simple and elegant is the best way to go.
topsu

Post by topsu »

^^ Thanks, the main reason for that simple base is that this is actually my second oldest design, first version was folded 1 or 2 years ago. :shock:
I just added the pleats and details to the old design.

Oh, and i added some pics on my flickr to see the spikes and a few other things.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Thank you for the extra pics. No offense, but I don't think the spikes really work. That is an awkward middle flap to work with-it is always hard to use the middle of the paper effectively. Have you tried doing anything else with it? It might be possible to make a rider for the dragon or squash it and just use it to cover the back.
topsu

Post by topsu »

I know they are weird, but i had to hide it somehow :lol:

The original idea for that flap was a cup and i actually made it a long time ago...
A rider could be done, but i'm actually quite tired of working with this model. :?

Well, I still might do it, who knows :wink:
snapa13

Post by snapa13 »

This photo's of a model I made 15 years ago from a paper bag that was spattered and sponged with artists' acrylic. Maybe I should rename it to Ancient Dragon! :)

Folded from a 210mm sq' of black mulberry paper. Finished model length approximately 80mm.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Both models are really nice! Good job. :)
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

My fave is the oriental dragon, nice job with the tail, though it is abit obese.
Bobby

Post by Bobby »

Nice models :wink:
Donya

Post by Donya »

Hmmm. Well, I suppose its interesting to see how one's name works its way into strange places. I appologise if the dragon I uploaded instructions for on another website has caused some kind of a kerfluffle here over design similarity. It's something I came up with when I was about 10 (I am 23 now) before I had much contact with serious origami books, so obviously it would not be complicated or some great mental feat to come up with.

The dragon looks alot like mine. Alot. Both are derived from the birdbase. I designed mine a couple of years ago and I think they are the same design.
Is the first step sinking the bird basy?
First step is a sink, yes. Like the Montroll Kuehneosaurus and many others. Ignoring the head on Montroll's design, body folds carried over from the Struthiomimus are the same. Details of the legs and wings differ a bit in fold choice and symmetry. To some the difference may be considered negligible.

as the donyaquick dragon actually looks like the robert neale dragon (i mean, it basically IS), which i believe he would have designed before both of you.
This one? http://db.origami.com/images/models/190 ... dragon.jpg I could be wrong (not sure I've seen the the details of the Neale dragon steps...memory fails me and I don't own whichever book has it) the difference seems about the same as to the Kuehneosaurus body, although I don't see as muc similarity in the formation of the wings as to the Kuehneosaurus. I don't know how old the Neale design is, but the Kuehneosaurus is certainly old enough to bump either of the other designs discussed off the timeline if there was any disagreement about that.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify which designs I know for certain overlap strongly with the one I referred to as my own. I'll go back to lurking now and admiring the many other much more impressive designs people have posted in this thread. :shock: