Low GSM Paper - Printing on an inkjet

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

I just got a new inkjet printer

I'm not a paper expert but I have thin paper that I'd like to print on my inkjet but b/c it's so thin it'd rip. I've carefully taped to copy paper and it still pulls and crinkles. I was able to do this on my old printer but after a computer upgrade, my old printer was not VISTA compatible :cry:

Anyone has suggestions on printing?
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

it could be possible that your new printer is just not able to grab and transport the thin paper correctly.
try using the single-sheet-feeder. depending on your printer the paper may go another way through the printer and your printing job could succeed. but be carefull not to damage the printer with paperscraps that get stuck inside of the printer.
which printer do you have?
origami street racer

Post by origami street racer »

try selecting special paper in the printing options most new printers are really gental with this option selected. (I fell ya about the vista deal its so annoying :x )
R.I.P Paul Grey 1972-2010
Slipkont
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

hmm... even my 15 year old hp4m is working with vista :-k
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

The model I have is a Canon MP480. It's designed for high quaity photos I just wanted to print stratigically placed spots for a cute cow. My old one was a Lexmark (forgot the model #) I already given that away. It was an AWESOME printer but the software upgrade was necessary :?

i'll play with the settings if that works :( This model really catches the paper very very tight. Not much hope as the paper I have is not designed for printing anyways which is why I taped it to regular paper and ran it through.
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

I have 5 or 6 printers, do far too much printing.
Try using card stock as base on which to mount your thin paper.
Make double sided tape to stick under your thin paper, making sure to not skimp on number of pieces of tape under top as well as couple under center.
Finally, hold your finger at side of feeding paper,( as it feeds ) so that it feeds without shifting.
I've been able to print on tissue paper this way, no problema !
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I had the problem when using adhesives to hold a thin paper on a thicker one that the glue melted while printing making it near to impossible to get the two papers apart afterwards. Yet again I have a colour laser printer, you shouldn't run into this problem with usual inkjet printers.