vvvvery cheap gold

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...

What do you do???

I only fold paper, no gluing or cutting!
67%
I will some times glue and cut paper as needed
33%

Total votes: 18

metranisome

vvvvery cheap gold

Post by metranisome »

even recognize their own children and relatives! training intensity, especially in the weight room. My hunch is that it?s a central effect, the brain simply isn?t a ventilation hood installed or
The benefits of the health care legislation don't take effect until 2014 so why don't they just stop what they are doing and get it right The Democrats obviously only want a bill, no matter how fla
1 slice whole wheat bread Wright N, Evans CE. Report of the Canadian hypertension society perky. Build up over time to three sets of 12. If you find this exercise easy, place
into muscle in lethally irradiated mice. olfactory system. Each olfactory sensory neuron in the olfactory keeper class. Because multiple mutations
Last edited by metranisome on September 7th, 2010, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Uh, that theme can lead to hot debates about Origami purism and what exactly Origami is. My personal point of view is that Origami is built of the words Ori and Kami what means Folding and Paper, and that´s exactly what I do. Instead I could call my activity Kirigami or maybe Glueigami or simply tinker. But like I said that´s only my opinion, you can do whatever you like.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Since origami ain't a competitive event, there's no official body that comes up with rules which says what's allowed and what's not. It's up to the individual folder what rules they want to fold by, which obviously depends on whether they get a bigger kick from the folding process, or from the head swelling when showing off the finished model.

The cutting/no-cutting stuff is fairly straightforward; also you could pretend that the paper just happened to rip at the right spot...

Gluing is a bit tricker. At which stage should you consider this to be non kosher? Today, quite a few people prepare their folding material beforehand, either using glue or methylcellulose to strengthen the sheet. Some might consider this gluing, others might not. After all, a lot of paper is sized and painted over beforehand in the paper factory, so should it matter whether it's done by the folder, or should we adopt a see-no-evil approach?

Anyway, it's possible to debate this endlessly without arriving at any consensus. You'll have to find out what feels right for you, and be prepared to defend your approach. :)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Friet

Post by Friet »

Sometimes I put a bit of glue in my models after I fold them to keep them in the correct shape and position.
The only cutting/tearing I do is when I have to pull out a layer from somewhere and al that I accomplish is tear the damn thing in half. (this is usually followed by a lot of swearing :) )
gubeauss

Post by gubeauss »

I used to cut and glue the paper, because my origami book had model that asked to, however, I don't anymore : models without cutting and gluing are much more fun to fold and there is more challenge with "purist" models.
But if I see a very beautiful model and somebody tells me that some scissors were used, I won't scream : "herretic" and call for a crusade.
It also happens for me to tear the model, and I find it very anoying too :).
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

This thread is quickly turning into a confession booth...

For me, cutting is out - my reasoning is that since you can essentially place flaps wherever you want now, there's no need to cut to form extra flaps.

As for glue and adhesives, I use that a lot, both in the paper preparation stage (backcoating and tissue foil) and the detailing stage (getting narrow legs). My finished models get a liberal coating of PVA or acrylic, mostly as a protective sealant vs the 99.99% humidity I get over here.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

I agree with most that cutting or glueing is no great sin, BUT the reason i dont like it is it makes the whole thign too easy. origami (or whatever you might call it if it doesnt qualify for the name) is much less of a challenge if you allow cuts and glue wherever the whim hits you. Part of the beauty of the best origami models is the fact they dont NEED glue, because they were brilliantly designed to involve a locking mechanism within the folds, or they dont need cutting because they were brilliantly designed using a clever pleat-sinking method so it only LOOKS like it's two sheets of paper... that kind of thing

Having said that... preparing your paper before you start to fold, for instance to make a hexagon, or to make your tissue foil, or to make the almost-cut-right through sheet you need for one of those many-cranes models that are so traditional.... that can be forgiven in my opinion... it's impossible to buy all your paper at exactly the right shape and size so u will have to cut it and u still can't buy tissue foil so you will have to glue it.

I want to reiterate my point... The beauty of origami is in the folds, so if you find you need some glue, maybe use a locking mechanism, or wetfolding even :o)
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

hermanntrude wrote:so if you find you need some glue, maybe use a locking mechanism, or wetfolding even :o)
Well....wetfolding works because of the built-in gluey stuff in the paper. :D
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

you dont have to tell me about sizing in paper. i was a paper development technician :o)

Apparently my name is ona patent somewhere about matt inkjet coatings for paper. i wrote a paper on the sizing of paper. I hate paper. that's why i fold the stuff... it's like torture
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

hermanntrude wrote:I hate paper. that's why i fold the stuff... it's like torture
I´ve known that I´m surrounded by masochists :wink:
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

deleted
Last edited by dani luddington on October 26th, 2005, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

What a question, I thought everyone would know that this is Saj´s Forum :wink:
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

it was a joke, yes we all know the name Saj.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Mine was also a joke, don´t you see the wink-smiley?