Sunburst

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Hehe, I meant that the base is very simple to collapse :lol:. It is very straightforward for a boxpleated model and if you compare it to my other CPs, for example, you'll notice that this one has a lot less creases. The shaping part, however, is another story of course...
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

legionzilla wrote:Extremely simple? Its freaking hard!
It's simple when compared with the Zombie CP.
Sure, this one has a lot of horizontal and vertical lines, but it's the amount of diagonals that really tell you how complex a box pleated design is.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Yeah, I will try it.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

My latest creations :

Medusa
A very fun model to create and fold. The challenge here was trying to fit as much snakes as possible on the head. As such, I managed to put 15 snakes (each with his own pair of eyes), making a really heavy head for medusa. The body and pose were mostly improvised since the important part of a medusa is her head.

Statue of Liberty
This is my submission for this month's folding challenge. This model was really hard to create and fold. I kept changing parts even while folding (this is my second atempt) and the shaping was very tedious as well. I tried to add as much details as I could so that she ressembles the real statue of Libery as much as possible.

Elboberto7

Post by Elboberto7 »

I love your creations, you should make a book of some of them. i would buy it in an instant :)
--Nick
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Very impressive, both of them!

The Medusa reminds me a lot on Molly Grue in the film "The Last Unicorn" (one of my favourite movies) and the Statue of Liberty is just WOW.
I also hope that you plan on making instructions for more of your work, it's incredible :D
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thanks for your comments! Anna, I even know which character you are talking about.
As for making instructions or a book, the best I can do right now would be making CPs of my work. Drawing diagrams would be far too complicated unless I don't include the shaping process and making a photo-diagram would require me to have a better camera. But, with the right motivation, I just might give it a shot someday...
LadyInRed

Post by LadyInRed »

Sunburst wrote:Statue of Liberty
This is the best Statue of Liberty I've seen so far. I love the details and the the way her dress is pleated and draped is my favorite (I'm a seamstress/ fashion designer). The first came across it was on Flickr and I think you mention it was folded from a hexagon with wicked strange dimensions :shock: is that really true or was it my imagination? The comment was gone last time I checked.
Can't afford a pet? Fold one or a hundred! The best part is you don't have to feed it or worry about it making a mess!!!
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

I think you were looking at this, not Sunbust's version, LadyInRed.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
LadyInRed

Post by LadyInRed »

WhisperPuffin wrote:I think you were looking at this, not Sunbust's version, LadyInRed.
Thank you, Whisper Puffin that was the hexagon one. These were both in the Original Designs pool on Flickr. I forgot about that version and then thought Sunburst's was folded from a hexagon....

whoopsie :oops:
Can't afford a pet? Fold one or a hundred! The best part is you don't have to feed it or worry about it making a mess!!!
Zorigami

Post by Zorigami »

Do you think there will ever be a diagram for Medusa or The Statue of Liberty? :-s
Bronners

CP

Post by Bronners »

i dont understand crease patterns... how do u make it in to a shape coz its just lines on paper how do u knw were to start folding or in which direction...
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thank you very much, LadyInRed! Although my statue of liberty is just made from a simple square...
Zorigami : I doubt there will ever be a diagram for both of those models (especially the statue). The closest thing I could possibly do would be a diagram for their base (which would still be very, very hard to do) or provide a crease pattern.
Bronners : I take it you are a beginner with crease patterns... If so, I wouldn't recommend attempting one of my models :wink:. You might want to check out a website that helps understanding them though (such as this one : http://spinflipper.com/origami/cp/toc.html.) By the way, each line represents a fold to be made in that location. Finding where to make them depends on the crease pattern.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

My latest folds :

Pig by Quentin Trollip
A very cool model. My favorite part is the snout, although it is kinda hard to shape correctly.

Vampire
Here's something that I wanted to design a while ago. The color-changes on the hands and face where my main goals. Color-changing the face was a LOT harder than I expected though and I can't be sure if I'm going to try it often on future models. Furthermore, I believe it is possible to have bat wings on both arms.

Skeleton ver.1.5
A major upgrade to my previous version and one that is more realistic. Here's what's different : much better skull, shoulder blades, knees and pelvis region. The eye-sockets came out bigger than I expected tough. The grid size used is 42 (an unusual number for boxpleating.)

origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Wow, that vampire is just amazing!

The skeleton is probably the most detailed I've seen so far made from one square.
Your designs are so incredible, I really love them.