Kalei Anne Lundberg - Katana

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ineedhelp2000

Kalei Anne Lundberg - Katana

Post by ineedhelp2000 »

OK, I wanna make a Katana and I have found the diagram for it, but I always get stuck on page 3 of the diagram I dont think its that clear , and I was wondering if there was another diagram or someone can help me from personaly experiences of making the katana, somone reply a.s.a.p :shock:
saj

Post by saj »

Hi there. Although I'm guessing that you're referring to the Katana by Kalie Anne Lundburg, it would normally be quite useful for you to quote the source and creator of the model in the future!

Please can you give us a rough idea about which step you need help on; after reading the diagrams the first step which seems tricky is step 7 when the diagonal folds need to introduced - the diagrams don't seem to indicate abc or d!

I'll try making this tonight, in the mean time lets hope someone else replies!
PS - Diagrams are from Alex Barber's website.

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
ineedhelp2000

yer sorry

Post by ineedhelp2000 »

yer sorry im kinda new to this forum thing yer i was tlking about the katana by Kalie Anne Lundburg, im stuck on parts 11 through to 13 it just isnt making any sense to me and the diagrams arent helping, is theere a different set of diagrams not by kalie anne lundburg that are consider clearer?
saj

Post by saj »

I attempted this yesterday night and I must say the model was not as hard as I thought. The two diagonal creases (which the diagrams are unclear about) should be angle bisectors - so fold these at a 45 degree angle.

The hilt of the Katana is perhaps the hardest to form, and requires you to sink the blade into the model - use the creases from the 45 degree fold as a guide.

Narrowing the hilt by sinking along the eights creases will make this step flow a lot more naturally; I'll try to take some photographs of this step.

The most ambiguous part of the diagrams are the blade tip formation; although I managed to get the model to look like the picture, I'm sure my folding method was incorrect.

I think it's very important to use the right type of paper in this model - I started with 6" kami and the handle formation required me to use a pen to get the pleats to collapse correctly. If you're a beginner use larger paper and make sure every crease is as accurate as possible - this is especially important when you get to the sinking.

Photos to follow!
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
silverleaf79

Post by silverleaf79 »

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm stuck on the same model.

I'm fine up to step 6. But I don't understand how to get to step 7. It looks like the paper got shorter, but I don't see how. :(

"Slip the 2 sections underneath into the top section. Note where the raw edges lay." This doesn't make any sense to me at all. I assumed at first that I needed to tuck the two eights of the paper folded to the right in step 5 into under the fold in the three eights folded to the left, but obviously that's not right, as my paper ends up too "long", not proportional to the diagram.

Am I missing something really obvious here?? Please tell me if I'm being incredibly dumb, I'm pretty new!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

silverleaf79 wrote:I assumed at first that I needed to tuck the two eights of the paper folded to the right in step 5 into under the fold in the three eights folded to the left, but obviously that's not right, as my paper ends up too "long", not proportional to the diagram.
You are quite correct with what you want to do. The right side will end up on top of the left side in the lower part, but under one layer of the left side in the upper part. That way the upper part which will be the hilt of the sword will be locked.

The problem is that the drawings in the diagram are not correct. The proportions in step 7 and step 8 should be exactly the same as they are in step 6.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
glenn94

Post by glenn94 »

hey, i dunt get the diagram... can someone who understands it post aa video tutorial or somtething like that on youtube? thanks
Max

Post by Max »

For everybody else searching the diagram:

http://dev.origami.com/diagram_load.cfm ... katana.pdf
mebeingmyself

Post by mebeingmyself »

I am having much trouble with step 17, as it is difficult to be sure what the diagram means, and the description "Close up of the blade
tip. Fold all layers up along line and crease." are rather vague to say the least. 1. which particular method would I go about using to close up of the blade, and which line should I be folding all the layers up and along? if anyone could describe a solution to said predicament or make a more specific diagram or somesuch, I would be very grateful. :wink:
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

It's a simple valley fold. The step is a "Close-up" view of the blade tip. :wink:
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
mebeingmyself

Post by mebeingmyself »

oh yeah... well now I just feel silly. thank you very much!
LotusEnigma

Post by LotusEnigma »

dude someone should totally make a vid on how to make this katana by Kalie Anne Lundburg
i'm stomped on step 12 the part were you make the hilt
i need a visual aid for this one definitly
OH almost forgot i new to this forum i've been folding origami for 6 years come next thrusday it'll be 7.
^_^
i've always wanted to make this katana but i always get stuck on that step
singular9

nice

Post by singular9 »

i need a video on the whole entire thing steps first to last alpha and omega
got it
mods should do somthing about this
^_^ TY
Keep Folding
Daniel Grabovskiy
^_^
Rez66

Re: Kalei Anne Lundberg - Katana

Post by Rez66 »

Could you post those photos? ^_^;;

Sorry to drag up an old thread on my first post, but I just cannot figure out step 12.
Rez66

Re: Kalei Anne Lundberg - Katana

Post by Rez66 »

Nevermind, I figured it out. But it's a horrible pattern/set of diagrams. :roll: