Very sad

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

TheRealChris wrote:of course your example is right in the meaning, that the question wasn't answered right. but regarding to your CP question, I'm 100% sure, that there were beginners CP shown, somewhere inside any other thread. I can remeber anna, suggesting the dopsonfly CP to start with...
Okay, that's the sort of specific argument I was looking for, so let's bring it deeper.

The point I'm trying to make here is that referencing the url did not work in this case, because the two threads were about fairly different topics - each of which can be a significantly long thread on its own. Now, had the thread not been locked after the url was referenced, the original poster would have had an opportunity to mention that the referenced url was not quite what he was looking for, thus sparking a longer discussion on examples of suitable intermediate CPs. That could have resulted in longer, more useful thread for future reference. Rather, what you have now is that everything that's remotely related to CPs will end up being put in a single thread. That topic has, in my opinion, grown too big for a single thread and thus lumping everything together produces something which would be fairly disorganised.

Since forums have the capability to allow cross referencing of threads, treating threads as a single line of sequentially linked posts might not be entirely productive, particularly for large topics. A more relevant paradigm would be that of a bunch of cobwebs - many subtopics linked together by a few common themes. With the linking, it's fairly easy to traverse the entire cobweb network and zero in on the information you want. The less frequently referenced threads will quickly fall off into the background - that's how forums are supposed to be. Instead, if new threads keep getting locked, it discourages people from posting in the referenced thread, and that just results in the referenced thread sinking to the bottom while keeping the locked ones floating all over.

Which brings us back to this problem - how do moderators decide if a particular query is the exactly the same as an earlier one? And, should this even be done, instead of letting normal forum dynamics handle the issue? Sure, sometimes it's easy to tell ("how do you do step 24 in the K-rose?"), but what happens when you have a broader query, like in the CP example?
Last edited by wolf on October 27th, 2005, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saj

Post by saj »

Great response, Eileen. We are hoping to hold a meeting and this will certainly be on the Agenda.

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

OK, so lets see what you all think. The new topic is here: http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=748
What do you think shall I do?
My choice would be to switch it in the right forum say that step 25 is described very well in the video I postet and close the topic.
Because this seems to be false I would like to hear your meaning what to do now.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

And once again a rose request.... http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6116#6116
It´s everytime the same steps.
I´ve done like recommended, I made the rose thread sticky a while ago. What´s the difference? Nothing! People still don´t read it.
Maybe we should leave this Forum completely unmoderated? Is this what you all want? That pisses me off! I won´t do any moderator activities until I get an answer of my previous question. Bye.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Throwing a tantrum and getting all huffy about it ain't productive.

For one thing, you might want to make the title of the sticky thread more obvious - something more eyecatching and descriptive. Maybe something like "QUESTION ABOUT ROSES?? READ THIS!!"

Then if they still don't get it, tough luck - we can't all be expected to help people who don't want to help themselves.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

wolf wrote:you might want to make the title of the sticky thread more obvious - something more eyecatching and descriptive. Maybe something like "QUESTION ABOUT ROSES?? READ THIS!!"
Done.
The rest isn´t an answer to my question, so what do you all think that I shall do with this new rose threads (one of them in a false forum!!!)?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

You can simply move the one in the wrong forum into the general/diagram section. Then, just leave them as they are. If folks wish to reply to the threads then, they can do so. Then let's see how fast they sink to the bottom of the heap.

Or, since we've got two almost identical situations, we could try an experiment - answer both similarly, then lock one and leave the other open, and then time how fast they fall off the main page.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Here's another alternative to making the K-rose thread sticky - write a K-rose FAQ, lock it, and have it as a sticky. That way, anyone looking for help on the K-rose should hopefully read that first and get their question answered without having to post a new query.

One reason for having this is that it'll be easier to find the information at a glance (how to do step 25?) instead of having to wade through 5 pages of posts.

Since I've got plenty of free time today, I'll work on that and post it in the General section, how's that? :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

wolf wrote:Here's another alternative to making the K-rose thread sticky - write a K-rose FAQ, lock it, and have it as a sticky. That way, anyone looking for help on the K-rose should hopefully read that first and get their question answered without having to post a new query.

Since I've got plenty of free time today, I'll work on that and post it in the General section, how's that? :)
OK, but post it in the diagrams section since it is a request on how to fold the diagrams (or maybe in "How to"). If you want to you can use the video I made.
Since people aren´t reading tutorials I´m not very positiv that this will work, but you can try.

The experiment is up and running, lets see the results...
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Ok, it's up in diagrams. Obviously it's still a very crude version, but I think I got most of the standard links in there. Everyone is free to add more information - send it to me in a PM/email, and I'll add your section to the FAQ.

Anna, do you have a permanent hosting place for your videos? How large are they?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

wolf wrote:Anna, do you have a permanent hosting place for your videos? How large are they?
Yes, I upload them at YouTube, and everyone is allowed to link to the video. This video is 6 MB in size, but I have the same one also in 2 MB and 168 MB, so if it is wished, I could also upload a better quality video, but I think the quality is good enough to see what to do.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Ok, thanks, I'll like to add that to the FAQ, but the thread is now locked and I can't edit it... :D
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

origami_8 wrote:
wolf wrote:Anna, do you have a permanent hosting place for your videos? How large are they?
Yes, I upload them at YouTube, and everyone is allowed to link to the video. This video is 6 MB in size, but I have the same one also in 2 MB and 168 MB, so if it is wished, I could also upload a better quality video, but I think the quality is good enough to see what to do.
This is a great spot for videos, there seems to be unlimited storage and you can upload files up to 100mb in size. I really hope more people will start using it, so far I have only seen Anna's, mine, and WCOG meetings.

Keeping topics (that do not challenge forum rules) unlocked seems to me a great way to encourage interest and allows for, with a little luck, unforeseen avenues of illumination to arise.