The Website Itself

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Crane89

Post by Crane89 »

origami_8 wrote:I'm absolutely against a ranking system for members. I mean we are here to talk about Origami not to give and get grades.
Excluding the Kitchen Sink from the post count sounds like a good idea, but yet again the post count doesn't mean anything.
Couldn't agree more!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

It is a common theme in this thread that post counts don't mean anything, but I think it is rather that post counts don't mean much. They are not indicative of the type of forum-goer someone is, how often they visit the forum, how involved they are in the forum, or how helpful to others they are. They can give someone a pretty good idea, though. It is safe to assume that someone with 1,000 posts has contributed significantly to the forum, isn't a troll or a flamer, hasn't just posted in the Word Association Game, and has actually helped some people out. None of those are certainties, but they are safe bets. It is great for someone to be able to join the forum and have a good indicator of any member's experience on the forum, and besides, with the great moderation and small size of the forum it would be hard for someone to boost their post count too much with meaningless posts.
Crane89

Post by Crane89 »

I had an idea: what about a Critique section where you can give your opinions on models, CPs, diagrams, books, etc? It would be useful.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You can do this in the "General"-Section.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

To me the post count thing is fun but completely pointless.
I like this forum cause of its 'silent' system. There are many people in the forum who post random stuff in the forum, creating confusion amongst the members and the moderators are always quick in deleting those posts, good job!
To me, the only thing that can be improved in the forum is the amount of warmth in it. Many members in the forum are given the cold shoulder, and though everybody helps each other, I somehow don't feel warmth, though that may be just my inference.
SpecialOrigami

Post by SpecialOrigami »

Completely agree with you Legionzilla, the forum does need alot more welcoming people.

I also see when new members post, usually the first or second is "Welcome to the forum..."
Origami Lions, tigers, and dragons OH MY!
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

Well, I'm back with another idea

I want an ignore function, to put it bluntly. If there is a member or two who's posts you are fed up with seeing *cough*no names*cough* then you should be able to ignore all of thei posts.

Thankyou

Score one for the good guys, Ftangdude
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

Well Ben you don't have to read any posts. That's your decision... U can just skip over the posts by certain people you don't like hearing from if you want.So I'm not sure how useful that function would be. Why if that person finally said something worth reading? You would miss out on that =\ that's just my opinion.

But if it was implemented... *ignores moderators* lol just kidding =]
gordigami

The Website Itself

Post by gordigami »

I would like to see that the " Moderators " do a more responsible job of monitoring the disrespectful , petty, antagonist posts.
While I respect the distain of censureship, reality dictates that there are a great many of folks , around the world, with a chip on their shoulder.
This forum is not the place to dislodge said chip.
Fleeing far too many immature inane gibberings, is what drives serious origami enthusiasts to The Origami L list .
Apoligize for the harshness of these observations, but wish to have this forum recognized for it's quality, not quantity...
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Trekker_1983

RSS Feed

Post by Trekker_1983 »

How about RSS feed feature? That could be a nice addition to the forum. :wink:
Just a suggestion, because I don't know how many of the members are using the RSS feed service.
Thought it would be nice to get updates on new topics with desktop RSS clients like Thunderbird or others. Unlike the Digest Email service, RSS feed readers can be set for real-time or almost real-time updates.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Actually the Forum has a pretty good RSS-Feed generator where you can choose from several options. I always use the feed to check what's new, it is so convenient ;)
http://snkhan.co.uk/origami/syndicate.php
Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

oops! I didn't know that. I should've look around more before I posted that :oops:
Adding it to Thunderbird. Thanks! :D
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

I would like to see that the " Moderators " do a more responsible job of monitoring the disrespectful , petty, antagonist posts.
While I respect the distain of censureship, reality dictates that there are a great many of folks , around the world, with a chip on their shoulder.
This forum is not the place to dislodge said chip.
Fleeing far too many immature inane gibberings, is what drives serious origami enthusiasts to The Origami L list .
Apoligize for the harshness of these observations, but wish to have this forum recognized for it's quality, not quantity...
I think this forum is one of the most peaceful forums in the web. Just take a peek in other forums- there are flame wars everywhere and expletives are being thrown in random in every post!
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

I have experienced the efficiency of the moderators several times. For example, recently someone posted a link to the phoenix 3.5 diagrams, and within about an hour of me seeing it, the post was gone. Also, spam never stays around for more than a day. Like legionzilla said, there aren't very many people that start flame wars here compared to other places, so its not a huge problem.