Roman Diaz - Secretary Bird

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Sara

Roman Diaz - Secretary Bird

Post by Sara »

Hi All,

Yesterday night I started folding Roman Diaz's Secretary Bird (diagrams in Origami for Interpreters). I decided I was too tired to continue when I encountered problems with steps 42-48. Unfortunately, a good night's sleep doesn't seem to have helped with understanding the steps. It looks like it's not that important how the steps are performed, as long as afterward the layers are separated. But I'd love to understand how they're meant to be executed, rather than just making something up that will work ok.

If need be, I can post pictures of what my model looks right now. I am fairly certain I've got what I'm supposed to, but who knows...

-- Sara
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

Sure, Sara, you should post a photo of that zoomed part. I (or we) could mark where to fold, because i have already folded this one.
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
Sara

Post by Sara »

View of the top of one of the legs:

View into the open side of one of the legs:

Not sure which angle is the best, as I'm not sure which are the most relevant parts. On the "closed" side of the leg I can somewhat release 3 layers (separately), which I think needs to happen. That's what I at least thought step 43 was, under the assumption that the arrow started in the wrong area (i.e. indicated the incorrect flap to lift).

One of my problems is probably which portion of the model is shown in step 44, or 46.

-- Sara
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

I made a video tutorial focusing on these steps. but i focused on the other side of Secretory bird. I'll upload it soon

Edited: Here is the video : ) I hope it helped. Because my english is awful : D
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYoiN4pJfgE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Thanks, Paulius. I'm still not sure about the first one of those layers, but I've decided for now I'll just do something that works fine It doesn't look as clean as I'd like, but we'll see.
Now I think I'll have to start over with thinner paper. :)

-- Sara
Sara

Post by Sara »

Ah, finally finished the bird. See it at http://www.happyfolding.com/gallery-diaz-secretary_bird

Thanks again, Paulius, for the help.

-- Sara
nooborigamier

Re: Roman Diaz - Secretary Bird

Post by nooborigamier »

Could you possibly re-upload this video? I am having trouble with these steps also
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

Help stage 46 please how do i flatten the second layer? there is this tiny piece of paper at the top that just doesnt get flat and doesnt fold accord any existed crease please help
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

Can anyone help me form the delicate toes at the finish of the models?