Help with Robert Lang's Blue Crab

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
azndragon0613

Help with Robert Lang's Blue Crab

Post by azndragon0613 »

I've attempted this model about 6 times. Every single time...the legs of the crap don't seem to separate (there is a flap underneath that connects the bottom legs with the top ones) and the eyes can't fold up. Can anyone help me?
lotsofsnails

Re: Help with Robert Lang's Blue Crab

Post by lotsofsnails »

azndragon0613 wrote:I've attempted this model about 6 times. Every single time...the legs of the crap don't seem to separate (there is a flap underneath that connects the bottom legs with the top ones) and the eyes can't fold up. Can anyone help me?
ohhh ive got this one. i think i managed it. which step(s) are problematic for you?
lotsofsnails

Post by lotsofsnails »

oh ive just done it...hmm...when you get to step 71..theres the big flaps at the side...and shud be two flaps directly underneath them which make the antennae. and all the legs should be seperate. maybe you did steps 46-53 wrong? or maybe on step 63 it says reverse fold two single-ply layers and u missed that? or maybe did steps 30-32 wrong?
azndragon0613

Post by azndragon0613 »

wow didn't know i'd get feedback so quickly.

I guess what I'm really confused about is at what step do the top and middle legs separate? Here's some other problems.

ok, so i'm pretty much fine up to steps 26. I've always managed to complete steps 27 and 28 but i'm not sure if i'm doing it right. All you do is invert that half petal fold shape thing and form a middle flap that swings to the left ( right on the back pleat). When you pull out the paper in 30, you pull on a single layer of double thickness paper right? After you fold it, are the top legs attached to the bottom ones?

I don't know if I'm doing this right but steps 44 and 45. You do a 3 flap sink on 44 right? How do you sink 45? For me it's always been kind of a squash sink where it covers the two sunk corners of 45. Is that wrong?

Thanks so much guys!!!
lotsofsnails

Post by lotsofsnails »

azndragon0613 wrote:wow didn't know i'd get feedback so quickly.

I guess what I'm really confused about is at what step do the top and middle legs separate? Here's some other problems.

ok, so i'm pretty much fine up to steps 26. I've always managed to complete steps 27 and 28 but i'm not sure if i'm doing it right. All you do is invert that half petal fold shape thing and form a middle flap that swings to the left ( right on the back pleat). When you pull out hte paper in 30, you pull on a single layer of double thickness paper right? After you fold it, are the top legs attached to the bottom ones?

I don't know if I'm doing this right but steps 44 and 45. You do a 3 flap sink on 44 right? How do you sink 45? For me it's always been kind of a squash sink where it covers the two sunk corners of 45. Is that wrong?

Thanks so much guys!!!
hmm...everything you said there sounds correct. step 27/28 you just invert that flap and in the process make a little triangular flap in the middle, but keeping the folds made in 25 intact.

on step 30 it is a single layer you pull out. and step 44 you sink three edges and step 45 is a spread sink.

are you sure u didnt do step 63, 64 and 65 wrong?
azndragon0613

Post by azndragon0613 »

for step 63...there are four upside down triangles at the bottom. You reverse fold only the single ply flaps... right? and then you reverse fold all the triangles in. At what step do the upper and lower legs truly separate cuz they are stuck together after 25