Sunburst

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

That vampire is amazing!! I really like his pose, like hes about to lash out and bite!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thanks a lot, both of you! With these two designs, I'm one step closer to having all Halloween-themed monsters made using origami.
LadyInRed

Post by LadyInRed »

Sunburst wrote:Thanks a lot, both of you! With these two designs, I'm one step closer to having all Halloween-themed monsters made using origami.
Will there be a mummy or even Frankenstein's monster involved?
Can't afford a pet? Fold one or a hundred! The best part is you don't have to feed it or worry about it making a mess!!!
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

LadyInRed : I actually thought about making both of these. I tried designing a Frankenstein monster from my zombie base, but the head gave me problems. As for the mummy, I just have no idea where to start. But those two just might appear in this gallery eventually.

Here are my folds from october :

Owl by Joseph Wu
I like pretty much every owl designs in origami. This one is probably one of my favorite. It's not too complex to fold, but looks really great with the 3d shape. You did a truly good job, Joseph!

Warai by Joseph Wu
When I saw this I thought : «Aww, this thing looks really happy. I need to fold him,» and I did...

Dryad 1.4 by myself
A dryad is a tree-representing goddess from greek mythology. So in case you ask, the various appendages sprouting out of her body are branches :lol:. I also wanted to make her hair look like leaves. This lead me to fold a tesselation (the usual scale one I think) for her hair. Unfortunately, her hair was also a nightmare to fold (more than 10 hours and I'm serious!) since I didn't even do it the right way. I really wanted to submit her to the october folding contest, but there was no way what I had in mind for her would've fitted on a square. That's right, she's folded from a rectangle.

Dryad 1.5 by myself
After folding version 1.4, I thought I could do much, MUCH better with this design. So, I decided to fold a second version which has much better structure, better folded hair, movement (imagine that she's running through the forest) and better shaping. To be honest, I'm really happy with this design and I don't see how I could've folded her better without having better paper. I think she's truly perfect.

LadyInRed

Post by LadyInRed »

Sunburst wrote:LadyInRed : I actually thought about making both of these. I tried designing a Frankenstein monster from my zombie base, but the head gave me problems. As for the mummy, I just have no idea where to start. But those two just might appear in this gallery eventually.
I never attempted to fold your zombie CP but, it was the reason why I thought maybe Frankenstein's monster could be designed from there. I wish you the best on creating more fabulous models :)
Can't afford a pet? Fold one or a hundred! The best part is you don't have to feed it or worry about it making a mess!!!
Didée

Post by Didée »

Lord in Heaven! That Dryad is outstanding! 1.4 already is an awesome model, what to say. But that 1.5, oh my ... it is so wonderful, it's a dream, I don't have the words. A momentary snapshot of everything-in-motion, frozen in time, and so much expression and elegance in it. I almost forget it's folded paper, completely caught up by the artistic expression. I'm in awe.

(Though, for the rectangle I'd just say "she is perfect". For "truly perfect", it should be a square. ;) )

One suggestion - if possible, make a stand that's less prominent. The current stand looks a bit like a walking frame. An unobtrusive one like that of 1.4 would be nicer.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Didée : I love your entire post. My dryad is my best fold in my opinion and getting good comments on it makes it even better. Thanks a lot. As for the stand, they are all self-made : having them support the entire weight of the model while being non-obstructive depends on the model. Since my version 1.5 doesn't give any support through her angled legs, this support is the best I could come up with.

By the way, if anyone has any small suggestions on how to do a mummy, feel free to do so. It would be perfect for the Egyptian themed challenge going on, but I just don't really know how to represent all those strips.

Tengu Yamabushi
A tengu is basically a mountain-dwelling creature from Japanese myth who likes to play tricks on travellers. I tried to nail most of the details of the classic tengu, but the details came out bigger than expected : the wings are huge, the nose is too long, the gale-summoning fan is huge as well... I could've made a better version, but I didn't have time to fold/design one before the end of the month (it's my submission for this month's challenge.)

Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Sunburst wrote:By the way, if anyone has any small suggestions on how to do a mummy, feel free to do so. It would be perfect for the Egyptian themed challenge going on, but I just don't really know how to represent all those strips.
Maybe this can give you some ideas :-)

Mummy by Anita F. Barbour (diagrams at Origami Swami):
http://www.giladorigami.com/swami/mummy1.gif
http://www.giladorigami.com/swami/mummy2.gif
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Maybe Ryuzin style pleats, but not divided into scales? I hope you know what I mean.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I didn't know about that mummy model, Daydreamer. The pleats are interesting, with the random placement and all, but it gets pretty complicated if I want to have more details like legs and arms.
And WhisperPuffin, do you mean parallel pleats incorporated in a boxpleated design? I think that would be the most suited for me if I don't want to make pleats from the start. Both method could work, I guess. I'll have to look into it eventually.
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

Yeah, something like that.
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

will there be a cp for the vampire? nice work by the way
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
plastgeek

Post by plastgeek »

Nice dryad! What were the demensions of the rectangle? Also, I like your stand for the owl. I could never get mine tostay straight on top :(
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

plastgeek : The proportions for the rectangle used for my dryad is 2:3. And I forgot to mention that the base for the owl is actually Jeremy Shafer's flasher hat.
orislater : Probably, but not this year as I'll be away during Christmas vacations.

Here's what I folded during the beginning of the month. More fairy variations!

Yellow Fairy
A refold of my yellow fairy, with some slight modifications to the CP. This version is closer to what I was aiming for in the beginning.

Orange Fairy
I never said that I'd stop making fairy variations, did I? Well, now there's one for each color of the rainbow! Whoopee! This one looks pretty happy. I'll need to work a bit on the base of her hair.

Violet Fairy
The last variation for now, and a pretty good one in my opinion. Her pose looks pretty awkward on this picture so make sure to see the other one on my gallery.

As for the mummy, I currently got something that just might work, but there are some problems I have to solve first. As of now, the transition between the members uses up a lot of paper and I have a hard time fitting everything on something other than a rectangle. I have yet to design the head too. If I ever manage to fold him, it will be next year.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

My limit on Flickr has been exceeded! Nooo! If you ever want a picture that's not there anymore, just PM me...

Vampire CP

Gemini
For the monthly folding challenge. I wanted to do two persons with the same square for a while, and this challenge encouraged me to finally do it. Also, I thought that gemini was the only missing astrological sign in origami.

Sphinx
First time I do a non-humanoid body :D. Look at the other picture on my flickr gallery : the body is bigger than it looks on this picture. I had to move the wings out of the way to take a good shot of her actually. I'm sure that by doing a real lion head (and maybe a goat one on the back), I could get myself a chimera.

The mummy is still on my «to do» list by the way.