Christmas Origami Book 2009

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

If you have a model that you're proud of, it really IS worth spending the time to diagram it normally. If you make photodiagrams, nobody will take you seriously; if you draw a CP, only a handful of people will ever fold from it.
The problem is that I'm trying so hard, yet I can't find tutorials accross the internet or in the forum on how to draw the shapes. I can't find many of the tools that makes inkscape so legendary in the origami world!!! Any computer guy who knows me knows that I have been asking on how to use inkscape and visio. Drawing cp is easier as all you need is to trace the lines with photoshop.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that photodiagrams aren't really worth the time they take. Making a good set of photo diagrams takes about as much time as a sketched set of diagrams for me; Computer diagrams take longer, but the versatility and clean look is more than worth it.
Cos' people like you have a natural knack for diagramming. After all, who makes one diagram a week for the origami weekly? :D

I'm still trying to diagram, but I asked that question in case I couldn't finish the sketched diagrams (I took 4 hrs to finish the first 2 steps...), but since your guys took the question with suck heavy misunderstanding, forget I just asked...
oyster

Post by oyster »

maybe you can send your photo-diagram to somebody, and ask help from him to draw a computer-drawn diagram
oyster

Post by oyster »

what does 'publish' mean? for example, is the diagram on http://origamiweekly.blogspot.com/ a 'published' one?
(hey, thank you ahudson :) )

does the copyright of a diagram transport to 'Christmas Origami Book 2009' or somebody, or it is still in my hand?
can we still publish the diagram in a book later freely if it has been included in 'Christmas Origami Book 2009'?

I have published a modle diagram in a book before without copyright transform,
and now I made some modification based on the old one, but I don't want to make
a full diagram of the new one. Instead, I give the diagram for the old one + diagram on the variation part only

is this suitable for 'Christmas Origami Book 2009'?

and is this one or two diagrams?

can I exhibit/sell the models (not diagrams) from 'Christmas Origami Book 2009' freely?
you can check the details here viewtopic.php?t=6266

thanks
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

oyster wrote:what does 'publish' mean? for example, is the diagram on http://origamiweekly.blogspot.com/ a 'published' one?
Definitely. Everything on the Internet, in books and diagram collections is published. For me Internet counts even more as published since it is available to everyone and not only to a selected group of people.
oyster wrote:does the copyright of a diagram transport to 'Christmas Origami Book 2009' or somebody, or it is still in my hand?
can we still publish the diagram in a book later freely if it has been included in 'Christmas Origami Book 2009'?
I ask everyone participating not to publish their diagrams elsewhere until the end of January. So the diagrams are bound for one month. You can however submit them to model collections that come out later the year (like for example BOS or 5OSME). After this month the diagrams are all yours again and you can publish them wherever you like.
oyster wrote:I have published a modle diagram in a book before without copyright transform, and now I made some modification based on the old one, but I don't want to make a full diagram of the new one. Instead, I give the diagram for the old one + diagram on the variation part only is this suitable for 'Christmas Origami Book 2009'?
That's a tough question. The main question is, is the difference to the old model big enough so that it really counts as new model? If so I guess it would be okay, otherwise not. In any case it would only count as one model since the first model was already published before.
oyster wrote:can I exhibit/sell the models (not diagrams) from 'Christmas Origami Book 2009' freely?
To exhibit the models shouldn't be a problem as long as you credit them properly. If you want to sell a model, you should seek contact with the designer and ask for his permission first.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

After hearing oyster's idea, I have came out with a way to draw the diagrams, though it would be computer made, it would be rather sloppy.

Anyway, I've got a question.

Can we do a diagram for something which cp has already been published???
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes that's okay, because a CP is no full instruction, while diagrams are. Therefore I wouldn't accept it the other way round (taking a CP for a model whose diagrams are already published).
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

ahudson wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is that photodiagrams aren't really worth the time they take. Making a good set of photo diagrams takes about as much time as a sketched set of diagrams for me; Computer diagrams take longer, but the versatility and clean look is more than worth it.
That is the key, it might be for you but some of us are completely clueless at drawing (being it computer or hand done), so photodiagrams when done well, should suffice.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I want to clarify some things. Drawing diagrams is hard work. Sure, like everything else it gets easier over time because you get to know the tools better, gain experience how to draw some things and so on. Drawing diagrams has nothing to do with being born as diagram drawing god, but only with experience. The more experience you have the better your diagrams will be. To say "boah for Andrew drawing diagrams is so easy, he's drawing one per week" is wrong because it is exactly the other way round. Drawing diagrams might be easier for Andrew because he has a lot of practice. And where did he get this practice? Well, he's drawing a diagram per week.
To become a good diagram drawer, you have to begin once and you have to practice a lot. No one can learn you how to do it, you can only learn yourself by practising.
Legionzilla says he can't find the tools that make inkscape so legendary as diagramming tool. Well, I have to disappoint you but there is no magic "Draw me a diagram for this"-Button that you push and magically a diagram appears. You have to draw each and every step line by line. And that's where Inkscape, Freehand, Illustrator and however else they are called vector graphic programs come in. They are designed to draw lines and objects. You can arrange them in multiple layers over each other instead of having one drawing. This allows you to copy parts of the model into the next drawing, shift layers around as in the real paper model. You can begin with a drawn square object and cut the square in pieces along the fold lines. Lets imagine you've cut it in half diagonally, then you end up with two triangles. You can put them over each other as if you would actually fold them. That's the reason these programs are so good for drawing diagrams, apart from the fact that they offer different styles of lines that can be changed easily, a library to save often used objects (f.e. arrows) and some other really useful tools.
Okay, enough rambling, start working. You can't finish anything if you don't even begin.
Murkel

Post by Murkel »

I finished my first oirgami model for this book :D i'm really proud of it, so please don't be too hard with your comments :lol: I hope i find a way to draw the diagrams in time. You said pen and paper is okay?

Ps: i call him "ghost"

lg Andreas

topsu

Post by topsu »

Very good looking design!

just try to make nice, straight lines, and if you can, measure the angles. Lazyness is the reason why I don't make much diagrams, so just grab that paper and start drawing. :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Looks really nice. I like the included stand. Can't await the diagrams. Pencil and paper is fine, preferably as good scan.
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

im just about to start diagramming some models for this book and i was wondering when the deadline was. im thinking of diagramming my wyvern and rider but if the deadline is really soon, then i may only have time to diagram a simple model
topsu

Post by topsu »

As it says in Anna's first post:

"The last date to send your instructions is December 15".
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Small change of plans, I will only be submitting a CP this year. I planned to diagram a model, but I never got past the first page, and with exams starting next week, I won't have time to finish them. Next year though, I'll have full diagrams for something really good.
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

good news, i have 3 pages of y wyvern rider diagrams done. ill probably have them done by the 15th.