Google Book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Aznman

Google Book

Post by Aznman »

Hi, I was just wondering in anyone has been on Google book. I have been looking at it for a little and it is really cool. You do have to get a user name and password (by creating an account , which takes two minute ). Alot of the pages or "restricted" but I have found some diagrams.

I guese I should tell you a quick way to use it :wink: type in a book to google search, and go to the bottom of the page and it says "google book" click that and it brings up either the one book, or a number of books click the one you want. at the top there is a search box, type in somthing you want to search the book for (aka. star, violinist, piano ect.). click the "search this book" ad it will come up with the accurences of that word in the book.

Aaron
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Amazing!
Thank´s for pointing that out. You can go there directly at http://books.google.com/
kehom

Post by kehom »

This is really incredible!
Nice to know about this thing! It may help we know if the book is really that good! :)
Many thanks for this tip!
May the shwartz be with you! ;)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

kehom wrote:This is really incredible!
Nice to know about this thing! It may help we know if the book is really that good! :)
Many thanks for this tip!
Yes and it will also help a lot of people to break copyright laws and avoid buying the actual books
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Brimstone wrote:and it will also help a lot of people to break copyright laws and avoid buying the actual books
I don´t think that this will be the fact. You don´t get access to the whole book but only to some pages of it, so that you have the chance to see the complexity of a model but don´t get the whole instruction to finish it. Next point is that it would be very complicated to copy the diagrams to your harddisc, the only possibility I´ve seen to do this is to make a screencopy and I don´t think that it would be worth the effort to do this with so many pages. Google has taken a lot of care that you only get that much of the diagrams and text that it is useless for folding without knowing the rest.
And there´s nothing better than having the real book when folding, I don´t like it very much to fold from printouts of diagrams found somewhere on the Internet and I´m sure that many people are thinking the same (Oh, if only I had the money to buy all those great books that I would like to have...).
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

One more thing to add to these comments, is that Google has already cleared all copyrights, with the copyright holder. So if you are looking at a page on google, then you might as well be looking at the real book. so you really are not breaking any copyright laws.

Aaron
Flickr Photos
EricGjerde

Google Booksearch & copyright

Post by EricGjerde »

I don't buy into the "this promotes theft" thing at all, especially with regards to origami. Let's face the obvious here- origami is a niche segment, which isn't commanding high numbers for book sales. This is fine, and to be expected for anything that is farther down the long tail; I wouldn't expect books on making wooden duck models or building model train landscapes to be "bestsellers" either.

but what tools like this do is enable us (you know, the purchasing public) to actually FIND books we want, that are on topics we're looking for. I know that the Google book search tool has already lead me to 2 different books on a topic I was searching on, both of which I purchased through the handy link it provides directly to a seller of that book! one of them was a $48 tome on geometric dissection, which I wouldn't have even thought of purchasing if I hadn't been able to peruse a few pages in the general area of my search request.

This is fundamentally no different than being able to look through any book in a book store- you wouldn't buy a book without even looking at it in the store, would you? unless you know what you're looking for ahead of time, how could you know the book would be worth buying? or even be relevant to the topic you need to know about?

My long-winded and aimless point is that I think this really is a positive tool for all the hundreds of thousands of smaller authors out there, who are able to put their book in front of more eyes now. They don't get marketing support or anything else for their books, so anything that gives them more exposure to a reading and purchasing public is a good thing. Certainly if they disagree with that (although all the writers I know are enthusiastic about this product) then they can contact Google and have their books de-listed.

Let's not knock a tool that helps connect the buying public with the product, OK?
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

One more thing. it is quite easy to find full diagrams when searching for modular things. since the avrage page length is one page. if you want to find virtualy all the pages, then you the "search this book" and search for "fold" and it will come up with a lot (it's a origami book, lot O folding :)

Aaron
Flickr Photos