Gryphon Origami

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Sigh...ok, I'll try again. I'm going to use some watercolor sketchbook paper and try your "oil" trick. Just don't think it's going to be done anytime soon (have to find the oil first...-sweatdrop-).

Do you know what the fold you taught me is called in proper termination? I just want to email the designer sometime about what it's actually called.

edit: Here's the gryphon. I used some baby oil on it and I am very pleased with the results (at least, compared to last time :) thanks for the "oil trick" I think I'll use it from now on [if that's ok] :). How is it?
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/art/ ... -171090740
jadylyon

Post by jadylyon »

I don't think that fold HAS a particular name. it's certainly not a rabbit ear, although its sort of got some similarity, but that's about as close as you'd get. the designer just should have broken it down into its component steps and described them individually, instead of trying to lump the entire thing into one sentence. if you're going to email them, maybe just ask if they could do that?

and that gryphon is very cool! that turned out just a ton better than the first attempt. i like the front feet especially for some reason, maybe because they look like Bugs Bunny - you know, all flat and floppy? are you going to paint it, you think? or was that enough practice for now? (grin)

uh, you can totally use the "oil trick" if you want, its not like i invented it - i picked it up somewhere and i've just been experimenting. i'm glad it worked out with such a good result!
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

and that gryphon is very cool! that turned out just a ton better than the first attempt.
Thanks. You posted before that you couldn't determine my skill level because of the bad paper. Can you measure it now? >:3

Oh, and by the way, apparently the designer for the gryphon is indonesian and doesn't know english that well. Furthermore, this was one of his first diagramming models to begin with. So I'm cutting him some slack about the relatively poor instructions (as for the pictures, he promised for his future models he would find a better camera-YES!).

Unfortunately for you, I am not going to paint the model, but I may try this again some other time in the future (mwa-ha-ha-ha!).

Also, I was searching around the net for a way to make the gryphon look even better and I found this page at fishgoth's website.
http://www.fishgoth.com/origami/essay_designing2.html
I like the idea of adding toes onto the gryphon (it certainly has enough paper to manage). However, when I folded the model the upper part of the legs began to become very thick, showing that strip grafting might not be the best idea, but I would like to try point splitting, for as you could see the front legs did get very long and the back legs' feet look bigger than the front's. Do you think I should try this? The legs were made from the bird bases so it seems relatively possible....hm
dean

Re: Gryphon Origami

Post by dean »

Okay i've been staring at this and trying for an hour. I know this is a very old forum but can someone please tell me how to get to the base fold? I'm completely missing something and its frustrating me so much i can't find any other diagram or crease plan or anything for this model.
oz

Re: Gryphon Origami

Post by oz »

Welcome to the forum!

Start with a Preliminary fold. If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I can walk you through it.

Next, if you orient the paper where the opening is at the bottom, fold up the top flap of paper.

Repeat this on the back flap, then fold one layer over on both front and back. Fold each of these new top flaps the same way.

From here, You need to do a squash fold on one of the top flaps.

If you repeat this on the back (but NOT the middle two like last time), you'll have the completed base.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Happy folding!