Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2010

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Donya

Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2010

Post by Donya »

For August, I propose the theme of "curves." This can be any subject or model that displays at least one prominent curved feature. Folding methods would include both curved folds and curved features emulated by other means (such as expanded pleats or a long series of crimps). Hopefully this theme will lend itself to both the simple and complex.

Rules:
- new designs or significant modification of an old design
- rectangles or squares only
- one sheet, no cuts or glue

Here are a couple of things that might be inspirational as far as showing curved features:

The sail of this Spinosaurus by Issei Yoshino, folded by Gilad Aharoni.

Dinh Giang's Santa Clause

I have also seen some wonderful curved-fold tessellations, but I cannot find an author name for the ones I'm looking for so I will have to wait on posting those. Maybe someone else will know some examples of this sort of tessellation?

Sorry for the delay in posting this - I was in the process of posting it several hours ago but got delayed. Also, I hope this theme hasn't overlapped strongly with previous ones - I looked carefully through the list this past month but I always fear I may have missed something.

====

EDIT: I forgot to add the judge! Anermak will be judging.
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

Yaaaay!!! A new challenge! I can't wait to see what awesome posts come out in this one!
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

i tell ya:i'm gonna make an onion with curves
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

i know, andrew(ahudson, am i right?).
but that is from a circle, and i wanna fold it from a square!but is actually any cp there?
fjank

Post by fjank »

I'm going to finish the ancient dragon, than start to design my nice little thing.
Will probably use about 10345 papers to get it the way I want it, this is going to be fun! :D
pretty decent folder, beginner designer from Norway. :)
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

looking forward to it!
10345 papers?i'm diagramming a model, and the onion will come after the diagrams are finished(1 whole week :-()
fjank

Post by fjank »

I am seldom satisfied with the result, so I throw the paper/model away. This time I'm not going to submit anything until I am completely satisfied. (probably after thousands of tries)
:lol:
BTW, what software do you use for diagramming? I am thinking about inkscape, unless there exists some other software more aligned to origami designers....
pretty decent folder, beginner designer from Norway. :)
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

inkscape?nah, it's ms-paint. not that easy, but there are many options, such as frame line, curve line, line, polygon, color edit, etc.......
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

i use inkscape. its awesome!
i have drawn diagrams using it - check the link in my signature for my diagrams.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

yes-i know-your svg problem.............or something like that?
i have your crab diagrams, and they're awesome!I just finished diagramming my insect and sent them to the chosen ones for test folding......i will release to you all the diagrams publicly if the test fold is successful!just feel free to ask me, they'll be in your inbox ;-)
i think we should leave this topic for the challenge, and we can talk in the off-toipc section......
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Donya, in this challenge, do you allow models that have extended pleats and are having series of crimps to form curves, like quentin's elephant or shuki's spinosaurus?i think i must design a spinosaurus in that case :twisted:
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Now here is a contest where anyone can win.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

the basic idea sits in my mind right now :evil:
Donya

Post by Donya »

newbpcpfolder wrote:Donya, in this challenge, do you allow models that have extended pleats and are having series of crimps to form curves, like quentin's elephant or shuki's spinosaurus?
Any technique is fine as long as it at least tries to approximate a smooth curve. The goal would be to get as close to a curve as possible if using pleats/crimps/etc. Some Spinosaur designs have very blocky or pointy sails (not necessarily the one you mentioned, although I think I have seen some very pointy folds of it) - but here smoother is better.