Marc Kirschenbaum - Biplane II

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ratchet01

The cowl

Post by ratchet01 »

Can someone post pictures of steps 129-135
dahlia

struggling...

Post by dahlia »

I have attempted this model about a 15 times now and just seem to keep getting stuck at around the same point. Things seem to go pretty well until step 50 which is just a sink to get the edge of the wing to line up. When I do this, though, it seems to necessitate undoing the crimping from step 34. Is this what is supposed to happen?

Also, What is the purpose of the steps from around 54 to 60. I've been struggling with these as well, and by the time I'm to step 61 my nice clean model has become all lumpy : (

Any help would be soooooo appreciated.

-Dahlia
GJ0KYZ

Bi Plane

Post by GJ0KYZ »

Folds 49 and 50 are triangular sinks. Make firm pre-creases for each sink and then open the model from the left. You'll then see the triangular area that needs to be sunk. I seem to remember the sinks are irregular in shape. Folds 54-60 are also involved in making the wing edges; they cannot be left out and are difficult. Don't forget to do fold 51 otherwise you will not be able to do the colour change to make the wheels in steps 146-150. Good luck.

There's a biplane on my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gj0kyz
73 de GJ0KYZ
dahlia

thanks, but...

Post by dahlia »

Thanks for the response. I guess my problem is that I'm not sure I'm doing that double-crimp (34) correctly because later on I seem to have to undo it to untuck some paper to sink/reverse in order to make the edge of the wing.

Any insight on whether one is supposed to have to undo 34 as part of that?

Thanks again and sorry for the delay responding, but real life was interfering with my origami :cry:
GJ0KYZ

Bi Plane

Post by GJ0KYZ »

Yes, you're right. The crimps formed in step 34 are undone and reversed to some extent in steps 67-71 to form the other edge of the wing.
73 de GJ0KYZ
Finchy

Post by Finchy »

ok usually i have a black belt in origami, but i seem to have misplaced it.

im stuck on step 7-8-9, specifically 8.

i dont get the collapse thing can someone help?
Some people are like slinkys. They're totally useless; but its fun to push them down the stairs...
dahlia

Post by dahlia »

Ooh! Something I can actually help with, I hope. Here's how I do it:
1. after you unfold entirely (step 7), pre-crease the two inner diamonds. They're already creased, but a few of the folds need to be reversed so that the inner diamond is all valley folds and the outer all mountain folds.
2. Start by folding the two valley folds that run across the paper at the top and bottom tips of the diamonds. Do this by pushing in at the tips of the diamonds. You'll only be able to fold part way at this point. Just go until the diamond shapes start to pop into place.
3. Now, grasp the two corners where the mountain fold goes along the diagonal of the paper. Push in so that the outside diamond starts to cover up the inner diamond.
4. Turn the paper over. You should see a diamond shape sticking up. Keep pushing until it folds in half along the existing crease.
5. Flatten the model. Some of the flaps may be askew, so just adjust them to match the picture in step 9.

Hope that helps. If not, I can try to upload some pictures. If you make it past steps 34-37 I'd love some more advice...I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong there that makes the subsequent steps fall apart.

Good luck!

-Dahlia
origamifinch

Post by origamifinch »

I love the origami biplane.
can anyone help me with steps 78-96 please :D
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

help step 30
oz

Post by oz »

For step 30, open the bottom flap up. Find the top layer, and valley fold it according to the diagrams. Close the bottom flap back up. Do this all four times, and you'll be good to go.

Last edited by oz on May 28th, 2011, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

thanks
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

and on step 31 :?
oz

Post by oz »

For step 31, fold the valley fold first. The edges will become vertical, and the mountain fold will more or less naturally happen. Try to make the valley fold perfectly vertical and the mountain fold perfectly horizontal. You have to do this on front and back at the same time, but once you do, it will look like step 32. Hopefully this makes sense for you?
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

i need help on step 37