Yoshihide Momotani - Coffee Cup

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
whosa_buddha

Yoshihide Momotani - Coffee Cup

Post by whosa_buddha »

Hello. I'm currently trying to make a coffee cup following the book "Doll's House Origami" by Yoshihide Momotani. However, I can't read the language and can't understand the instructions. I'm making this for a resume, and have never made origami before. Any help would be appreciated. The instructions are numbers 8 and 9. Thank you!

Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Step 8 means Fold, crease, unfold and you have to do the same on both sides.

Step 9 means fold the sides you pre-creased on step 8 and they should overlap. Then you have to pull the white "arrow" at the top of the model and by doing so the model should become 3d.

Good luck.
whosa_buddha

Post by whosa_buddha »

I'm not sure I'm doing this right. Should it look like this?
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

That looks correct for step 8
whosa_buddha

Post by whosa_buddha »

I'm sorry for being so dense, but I'm still having trouble understanding. Based on the previous posts, step 8 involves doing the following:

And then, uncreasing, like so?

I have no idea what to do on step 9.

### dont't post links to copyright protected stuff ###
Adam

Post by Adam »

Compared to the diagrams you provided, the proportions of your model appear to be incorrect. I'm guessing you either started with a sheet with the wrong shape, or made a mistake in the previous diagrams.

Step nine looks like you simply have to fold up all the sides, so that they are perpendicular to the middle. If you look carefully, you'll see that the creases next to the white triangle will become mountain folds (i.e., corners).
Murkel

Post by Murkel »

It seems to me, that in step 9 you give the model a 3D form. In my opinion you have to pull the layer on the top up to bild the side with the handke. While youre pulling it up, the sides left and right will go up al little bit an will be two other sides. The last thing to do will bo folding the bottom of the model up to create the last side of the cup. So you will have a boxlike thing.

Thats how I would try this step.

lg
whosa_buddha

Post by whosa_buddha »

Thank you everyone for being patient with me. I've taken my original piece of paper and have made a scheme for understanding what it is I'm supposed to do.

The letters represent where to different levels of paper overlap. The numbers represent where two dotted lines cross. Using these, could anyone explain the folds in step 9?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You see that edge your finger and thumb are on? Lift it. You also need a crease through B and D.
whosa_buddha

Post by whosa_buddha »

Like this?

origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Good, that's the first part. Next you have to make the bottom part like a box too. It's hard to see, but in step 9 there are a couple mountain folds that go along the colored edges of the paper. Use those along with all the valley folds to make that part look like the other side of the box.
evigami

Help with coffee mug shaping

Post by evigami »

I am looking for some help from a more experienced folder on this model of a tea cup that I`m trying to make for my fiancee's mum

the diagrams can be found here:
http://vk.com/doc-52209448_171169168?dl ... a7217e1962

the steps I need help with are on page 54, I have step 11 but then in step 12 it is perfectly round. I see there are mountain folds on step 11 i think and then that makes it round somehow? I tried to do this but mine just looked like a roundish cube with indented corners.

any help appreciated.
Brimstone
Buddha

Re: Yoshihide Momotani - Coffee Cup

Post by Brimstone »

Posting links to copyrighted material is not allowed in thisn forum.

What you're missing is called "shaping", you have to give the model its final shape and there is no easy way to explain how to do it, other than make it look like the image by pressing here and there and making small pinches.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: Yoshihide Momotani - Coffee Cup

Post by Swapnil Das »

The white flap on the top needs to be divided into thirds, they're not angle bisectors. That's what caused the short flaps on the sides.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!