Getting a Copyright

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
iAm4free

Getting a Copyright

Post by iAm4free »

Hi Everyone,

I plan to get a few of the models I have created Copyrighted in my name. So I would like to know if anyone have done this. If you have can you please tell me the process.

- Nikhil.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Taken from Joseph Wu's website ( http://www.origami.as ,click "copyright" on the home page, bottom right to view the whole page):

<snip>
An origami figure is a creative expression, which is a form of intellectual property that is protected by copyright law in Canada and abroad. All rights in a copyrighted work belongs to the composer of the figure. In origami, the folded figure, photographs and other images of the folded work, and printed or electronic instructions for folding the work, are all protected by copyright.

Under copyright law, origami instructions are treated much like a musical composition or a piece of software. Personal use is permitted, but any commercial use or republication requires the express permission of the composer. With respect to instructions, both the composer of the origami figure as well as the diagrammer (if different) possess rights. In addition, the original composer retains rights in derivative works, i.e., modifications of the design. In both law and practice, one must obtain permission from both the composer and the diagrammer before republication or other commercial usage is allowed.
</snip>

Copyright is an often debated subject in origami, generally most folders respect each other enough to not pass another's work off as their own, so there have been few problems. You can apply for a patent I believe, but its uses and practicality might not be justified for the process.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Just say Copyright 2007 Nikhil D. Chitloor, and there you go :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Perpetual_Odium

Post by Perpetual_Odium »

is that right?

I thought there was a different, more complex process...
My heart bleeds what little purity I have left through these eyes of mine; leaving me dry inside.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Nope. You just have one when you say you have one
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Cupcake wrote:Just say Copyright 2007 Nikhil D. Chitloor, and there you go :D
That's as easy as it gets... :)
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
perrosaurio

Post by perrosaurio »

well, I'd say maybe you should go a little further. At least in my country is necessary to register them in the legal patents Office. It works in the same way that musical pieces or software, as Joe the White posted. You gave them a copy of the instruction and it shouldn't take it more than a few dollars ($7 in my country).

Also local patents applies as precedents for international rights lawsuites.

I think is important, I saw once a company used an origami figure for a TV commercial and the creator sewed them for a huge quantity. Also if someone modify your design and publishes it in a book you have rights.
perrosaurio.
"Trust Komatsu, he knows where we are going..."
http://origamido-en.blogspot.com/
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

perrosaurio wrote:well, I'd say maybe you should go a little further. At least in my country is necessary to register them in the legal patents Office. It works in the same way that musical pieces or software, as Joe the White posted. You gave them a copy of the instruction and it shouldn't take it more than a few dollars ($7 in my country).

Also local patents applies as precedents for international rights lawsuites.

I think is important, I saw once a company used an origami figure for a TV commercial and the creator sewed them for a huge quantity. Also if someone modify your design and publishes it in a book you have rights.
I personally feel that its a better thing to do. I wouldn't mind people if ppl use my designs for personal use but if big companies use it for commercial purposes then I would definitely not like it. Which I think happens in many cases. The big fish take the small fish for granted.

I have another question. I am a citizen of India, but at the moment I am working in Singapore. I would like to know if I can still get a copyright in this country and will that still be valid elsewhere?

I am extremely new to this... so I don't want to hurry on things...

- St. Francis of Assisi
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

who's Joe the White?
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

So if you say it is copyrighted to your name, can you sue someone/some company for using it, even if it is not legaly official? I thought you had to go through the legal process to do that...

And what about modifications? I mean like if you just use the base or seriously change the model? do you copyright it as: designed by Joe Schmoe modified by Kevin ?
Because I'm working on a very modified kawasaki rose (basically just keeps the twist), and so how would I make sure its mine without taking credit away from Kawasaki?

*for reference, I live in the US
The most important thing for me is the direct observation of nature in its light-filled existence. -August Macke
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

As soon as you create something, you have a copyright on it. If you really want to legally protect yourself, get it registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. From what I learned at school, having the legal forms tends to hold up better in court.
John Jaskson

Post by John Jaskson »

I was wondering if anyone can help. I interesting in folding a few models (from Roman Diaz, Robert.J.Lang and Kamiya Satoshi) for an exhibition. I not selling or geting any money for it, just want to exhibit some origami, and will credit the original designers.

I was wondering if this is allowed or would I be infringing on copyright law. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I'm sure that they will be very cooperative when you contact them for permission. You can contact Robert through his Web site. I'm not positive about Roman's Web site and contact info.

And, I've heard that it can be difficult to get in contact with Satoshi.

I recommend that you start with Robert and he might have contacts for the others.

- Hank Simon
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

You may try getting in contact with Roman through his Flickr...: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88586913@N00/
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Yes, you are right, it works on Flickr. I have permission for our exhibition from Roman Diaz in this way.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz