Starcraft II

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Ragnorax

Starcraft II

Post by Ragnorax »

well it came out today :D and i bought it at midnight release =] anybody else get it?

so i think this will replace most of my folding time for awhile... (kinda sad i know, but soon enough ill be back to folding)

this puts the ryuzin 3.5 on hold too :P

also if anybody wants to play just PM me your battle.net and we can play
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

I want it, but i'm going to wait until it isn't as expensive. Because not only am I a "poor college student", I'm also a "starving artist" and I have almost no money (or time) for video games :(
The most important thing for me is the direct observation of nature in its light-filled existence. -August Macke
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

my friend who got it from the warez sites
he says it´s a nice game but that it does not match up to the hype and that it´s just like 6 hours long so I suppose it´s not gonna be such a large distraction from origami for you.
personally I can´t wait to play the kane and lynch 2
:twisted:
X
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

6 hours long? First of all...no. There is an achievement to complete the campaign in an 8 hour speed run to give you an idea of the campaign length, but the main focus of the game (like 99% of it) is multiplayer. There are some balance issues in the core gameplay, but there are bigger issues with the game. It is almost impossible for an unpopular custom game to get any exposure whatsoever, as game types are listed by popularity and can be republished (so multiples of the same game type spread out the popularity). Also, the map editor is missing a ton of vital features that there is no reason for it not to have. Worst of all, the game can 'only' be played online through Blizzard's servers, meaning...no LAN, needless lag, and...nope, there is still pirating going on.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Jonnycakes wrote: Worst of all, the game can 'only' be played online through Blizzard's servers, meaning...no LAN, needless lag, and...nope, there is still pirating going on.
My brother bought it and I've played the game for a few hours using a guest pass, but I must say that it's simply not worth the purchase. You've mentioned many of the problems in the game; Warcraft 3 was a far better polished game, with incredibly many options in the World Editor. What I really hate about it is that you are forced to log onto battle.net and that one cannot play via LAN.

Rather than buying it, I've tried the guest pass, and am (while typing this) downloading the game, so that I can run it through a crack. I'll give the campaign a go, but I doubt I'll be impressed.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Like I said, you don't buy the game for the campaign, you buy it for the multiplayer. That isn't to say it isn't worth buying, but there are a lot of unfortunate problems (some of which combination conspire to ruin the custom mapping community). If you want to play the 'actual game' (playing quick matches/league games), SC2 is fantastic. But one of the things I loved about WC3 was the custom map-making, and SC2 brings in both some much-needed improvements and some unfortunate giant leaps backward. Time will tell if Blizzard mans up and fixes the mistakes.
Adam

Post by Adam »

While the multiplayer is quite well balanced (although I've heard that Terran versus Zerg is a bit unfair) it's simply not new or refreshing enough to be worth it. It feels, in my opinion, just like any other RTS game that came out at least 5 years ago. It's fast paced, and fun, but so was Beasts & Bumpkins (1996) or the first Age of Empires (1999). And I'm not exactly willing to pay 50 or 60 Euros for a 10 year old game, with updated graphics..
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

There are a lot of updates to the basic gameplay that older rts games didn't have. Unit AI is much better, i.e. when you tell probes to harvest minerals, you do not need to individually lead them to separate mineral patches: they will spread out on their own. Little things like this as well as control groups, hotkeys, etc. makes everything much more reasonable to manage (and fun to play). Blizzard has been refining their RTS games over the years and this one is the most polished yet. Also, how are the communities doing on those 10-year-old games? SC2 is new, popular, and has a thriving community.