Satoshi Kamiya - Coelophysis

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Moogie

Satoshi Kamiya - Coelophysis

Post by Moogie »

Hello friends :)

I recently started doing origami again after I was gifted a book of patterns by Satoshi Kamiya.

I've done basic origami in the past, but have never attempted something more advanced. But I took my time, familiarized myself with the folds I would need to use etc, before I began on any of these. I first folded "The Yellow Bird" - successful on my first try! (if a little bit messy, of course... hehe)

Now I'm attempting Coelophysis. Two parts stumped me so far, but I overcame them eventually. This next part... I just have no clue at all. This is the first time my folds have looked different from what I see on the diagram, so I cannot continue until I figure it out. =(

I'm hoping some of you kind folk may be able to help.

Specifically, I am on Steps 56 -> 60. This entire sequence boggles me. Step 56, when I fold down the corner, I am not presented with the straight, neat looking triangle on the top layer (seen in Step 57). Try as I might, I cannot get it to form a straight edge on that North-to-East diagonal from the center of the model to the far point shown in the picture. This is probably because I cannot figure out exactly where it is telling me to form the rabbit ear. I've tried, and worn my paper thin trying, but no matter what I do the shape is different to the diagram.

(Edit: Just to clarify, my paper up to this point matches the diagrams and as far as I can tell, is folded correctly at every step.)

From there, I encounter all sorts of problems in the next few steps... but I'll spare those details for now, unless necessary. Regardless, this has really stopped me in my tracks.

TL,DR: I'd be eternally grateful if someone could clarify the rabbit ear instructed in Step 56, leading to a correct shape in Step 57 and beyond. I would have taken pics of my paper, but my camera is out of batteries at the moment. I'll try to upload pictures soon.

Thanks for any and all help. :)
The Average Folder

Post by The Average Folder »

Well I am too lazy to fold this model and take pictures, more so as my camera fell into my toilet :oops: but it looks like there should be a flap underneath,, and as you push the flap in in 55 over to the side,you are rabbit earing the flap underneath, thus creating the neat triangle shown in step 56
I hope this helps :)
Folding is everything, and everything is folding
My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58368473@N06/
-Mike
Moogie

Post by Moogie »

Oh, no sorry, that's not the triangle I meant. 55-56 is fine, but it is 56-57 where I get the problem.

The triangle I was referring to is shown on 57. It's the really loooong one that extends down the length of that point.

Sorry for the confusion, but thanks for the response! =]
orikata

Post by orikata »

That triangle should get tucked inside the rabbit ear.
Moogie

Post by Moogie »

But that's the problem. Rabbit ear where? In which direction?

I've rabbit-eared all over the place. I still cannot get that triangle to lay as a flat edge. The closest I can get is a messy wide V shape -- far from the straight line it should be -- and the rabbit ear leaves an awkward, misplaced fold and does not line up properly with anything else.

This particular junction of folds is very restricted in the distance and directions it can fold and I've tried just about everything with it. I think the only way I'm really going to 'get' where this fold is supposed to go, is by seeing someone else do it. :/
Juanfran

Post by Juanfran »

I've just folded it :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31632261@N03/5193989713/

To obtain that triangle, in fact it is the future leg, I divide step 56 in two parts. First you have to reverse fold the flap inside so it meets the upper edge, then you can complete the rabbit ear while folding the whole white flap to the right. Hope it helps, try again, if you have problems I can take some photographs of the step.
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

my fold
Paper Ninja

Post by Paper Ninja »

I'm a new folder and this is my first attempt at a Satoshi Kamiya design. (yay) Anyways, I'm having trouble with the closed sink (step 51). I've never done a closed sink before, so I'm not sure what to do to make the paper lie flat... Any tips?

Edit: I figured it out. I had been trying to do something that looked like an open sink and made a big mess. It works now.

For future folders who might be confused, the closed sink is just pushing in on the corners of that long strip in 51. It'll invert and then just press it flat. Don't over complicate it by pulling the layers apart like you would for an open sink.

For folding the legs in step 55-57, 55 is a crease. You fold then unfold 55. After you've creased it, look at step 55; you'll see a long skinny triangle (the leg). Make a valley fold along the shortest edge of this triangle. Now reverse fold the loose edge that was right above the leg so it lies along the leg. Flatten.
Last edited by Paper Ninja on January 1st, 2011, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Find a mirror and make a funny face at yourself! Now!
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

heres mine, with the t-rex also. :D
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

the Coelophysis is going to be eaten alive by the t rex :cry: :cry: :cry:
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

hahaha that would be epic fail of the day!
i brought one to school one time. and this kid ripped it in half an put it in the vending machine :cry:
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

woe on that day for the lost of an origami dinosour :cry: :cry:
the epic duck is cominng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
dragon

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Coelophysis

Post by dragon »

I'm stuck on step 62 and 63. It says crimp inside, but I don't get what layers to crimp and how to crimp it. I've folded this model before, but I mainly improvised on this step.
Milith Dheerasekara

Re:

Post by Milith Dheerasekara »

The Average Folder wrote:Well I am too lazy to fold this model and take pictures, more so as my camera fell into my toilet :oops: but it looks like there should be a flap underneath,, and as you push the flap in in 55 over to the side,you are rabbit earing the flap underneath, thus creating the neat triangle shown in step 56
I hope this helps :)

what im seriously wondering right now is HOW it fell into your toilet. :D =D>
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Coelophysis

Post by origami_8 »

Well, the post you're replying to is from 2010. The user who wrote it hasn't been logged on to this Forum since 2012. Chances that he will read and answer this go down to zero.
Please, when reviving ancient topics make sure to actively contribute something to it, be it a new question regarding the topic, or an answer to the existing question, but no chitchat that belongs to the Kitchen Sink.