Orchid Origami

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
in4mer

Orchid Origami

Post by in4mer »

Hello everyone,
I am new to this board. I need some help to make a handful of origami that I found on the internet. This is my "first" time trying to make origami by following diagrams. I usually watch and learn. I find it difficult to follow diagrams so any help would be appreciated.

Here is one of them:

http://www.geocities.com/foldingca/Swami/orchid.gif
i don't know who created this

Here's another one:
http://www.kalei.com/origami/images/orchid/orchid1.pdf
by kalei anne lundberg

Here's another one:

This one is french, so francophones, au secour!
http://www.geocities.com/orimtl/diagrammes/orchidee.pdf
by Patrick Gonzalez

Any help would be appreciated. If anyone can help me with any of them by doing it and sending me the photos, that would be extremely appreciated.

Take care!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

The best would probably be if you read through the Basics section on Stephen O'Hanlon's Origami page. This should give you a good background on the symbols used in diagrams and what they mean and also show you what different kind of folds you might stumble upon in diagrams.

And if you then still have problems folding the diagrams you can always ask for help on specific steps, it's easier to help you if you tell where you are having troubles exactly :-)

Btw, the first orchid you are linking to is by Anita Barbour.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
in4mer

Post by in4mer »

For the first one, i believe i am stuck @ step 3, i'm not sure if i'm doing it right. if i did it right, i am stuck @ step 6.

For the second one, I am stuck @ step 14 i believe.

For the third one, I am stuck @ step 7 i believe.

The reason why i say i believe is because i am not sure from that step on. It just doesn't look the way it is supposed to in the next step. That is why if I can see someone do it step by step and i can what is going on and model it. Thanks for your help guys, i really appreciate it.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I think it´s absolutely useless if we try to describe you how to fold the whole models because what you need are the basics. And the best way to learn the basics is like Daydreamer said to read through a good tutorial like the one on Stephen O'Hanlon´s page. Another good tutorial can be found on Gerwin´s homepage: http://origami.iap-peacetree.org/basics.php
Read and FOLD through these tutorials and than try again to fold your orchids beginning with the first one you mentioned. If you then have any further questions on specific steps you can ask again here.
in4mer

Post by in4mer »

I should mention, that i have read that tutorial, and i've read a couple others. That is actually why I was able to move ahead from some of the earlier steps. I'll keep trying and hope that someone will show me some photos of the steps. :)
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

in4mer wrote:For the first one, i believe i am stuck @ step 3, i'm not sure if i'm doing it right. if i did it right, i am stuck @ step 6.
Ok, let's try to solve your problems one by one. Gonna start with Anita Barbour's Wild Orchid, and once you got this one right we can go on to the next one.

Step 3: I don't understand your problem in this step, all you do is to turn the model over (the same way you would turn the page of a book).

Step 6: You have to fold down the front-layer on the line shown. The important thing here is that you did steps 2 and 4 exactly like it said, otherwise it won't work. The model will become three-dimensial with one leaf of the orchid standing perpendicular out of the model. Now repeat the same thing on the back side and continue to step 7.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin