Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
hobbestheprince

Re: Eric Joisel mermaid (cp)

Post by hobbestheprince »

My favorite model that has no CP is "Woman in Dress." The mermaid is a close second.

hobbestheprince

JumPurge: Do I have to fold those creases inside the hat area? Ugh, they are such a pain to collapse. I noticed in the beginning of the forum, you mentioned that I had to unfold that section anyways ... I was hoping to skip it since it is a royal pain and had me go through 5 papers so far. Here's the part I'm referring to:

I'm becoming an expert at precreasing though! :lol:
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

hobbestheprince wrote:JumPurge: Do I have to fold those creases inside the hat area? Ugh, they are such a pain to collapse. I noticed in the beginning of the forum, you mentioned that I had to unfold that section anyways ... I was hoping to skip it since it is a royal pain and had me go through 5 papers so far. Here's the part I'm referring to:

I'm becoming an expert at precreasing though! :lol:
It's not that hard. :/
And collapsing them would be best because that just makes it flat, but if you think you can skip a step, by all means. It only makes it easier for all the other parts.
hobbestheprince

Well, this little, "half a crane base" thing you mentioned gives me problems collapsing everything properly. Not hard for you obviously. Common sense I guess, right? Lol.

I think I have the moutain and valleys mixed up for this section.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Well I'm certain if you start from there, collapse the other parts around it, you should have no trouble at all.
hobbestheprince

Lol, yeah right. I'll have to wait for my patience to return.

By the way, is this the neck?

I noticed that some of Joisel's models have a neck, whereas the dwarfs do not. I was thinking the things on the left and right were the breasts, perhaps the middle is the neck.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

That whole section is the neck, breast, and stomach.
hobbestheprince

Ah, I see. I thought those two big pyramids were her bust ... they're bigger than her head though! :-P
hobbestheprince

JumPurge: Did the head! I started an attempt at the whole body just now ... but I'm guessing your instructions are not going to work the same way :-( I just divided the upper part of the paper into 16ths and followed what I did before. Now there's no room for arms.

JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

hobbestheprince wrote:JumPurge: Did the head! I started an attempt at the whole body just now ... but I'm guessing your instructions are not going to work the same way :-( I just divided the upper part of the paper into 16ths and followed what I did before. Now there's no room for arms.

No, because it's not in full ratio to the CP. :|
hobbestheprince

D'oh! How do you guys figure out this ratio business? I'm using standard copy paper.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

You wanted instructions to make a bust to practise the head, so I gave you that.

Alright.. Start with a large peice of paper, that's a 2:1 ratio. Or half a square. A rectangle.

Fold it in half, you have to squares. Fold it diagonally, you have four right angle trangles. Adding a middle line where a normal quarter is will do good.

Now make it into 14th's. All the way down the strip. That way it will have 14 : 1 bars going all the way down the length of the model.

With the top two, divide by 12. Basically, just each one fold in thirds, than fold each of those into quarters. 4 x 3 = 12, so there. Now, that's not enough to make the full mermaid. face, arms, hair, etc.
You'll have to divide another bar by 12, but only enough so you can reach 20, while cutting off 6 on the top. You've basically now made this part:

The rest is either self explanitory, or already explained, and making simple sinks. The scales are but simple pleating. In the actual CP the scales separate more as they approach the stomach, however, I ignore that for simplistic reasons.
hobbestheprince

Ah, so regular copy paper is not a true rectangle then. A small piece would have to come off, correct? Kinda like the self made man instructions elsewhere on this site?
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

It's a rectangle, just not the right rectangle lol
If that's how you want to compare it, then sure.
hobbestheprince

I see now. Hm, I wish I could find my ruler ... then I would know what strip to cut off to get what I need. The reverse-engineered Self-Made Man is taking a square and forming a rectangle. If I did it this way, I would lose a lot of paper and have a tiny rectangle.

JumPurge: You have helped me so much, I just want to thank you for that. Your knowledge on origami blows me away. I am humbled at how someone can know an art so well, and yet continue to improve.