Monthly Folding Challenge: October 2011

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Black~Terror

Monthly Folding Challenge: October 2011

Post by Black~Terror »

Alright, rules of the next competition!

Topic: Traditional Bases

In this topic, you can fold anything you want. Horse, Slug, Frog, Paper snowball, ubercomplex insect, whatever. However, your only constraint is that it must come from a traditional base. So what do I mean by traditional base?

Kite base, Fish base, Bird base, etc.

This is the list of accepted traditional bases:
- Kite Base
- Fish Base
- Bird Base
- Frog Base
- Pig Base
- Square Base (Preliminary Base)
- Waterbomb Base
- Cupboard Base
- Windmill Base
- Possibly more.

Rules:
1. Use a square (not like you could make a bird base from a triangle anyways). Cuts and glue are not allowed. You may not use more than one sheet of paper.
2. You may not unfold any part of the starting base.
3. No, grafting paper on a traditional base in any way is not allowed.
4. Neither is offsetting bases.
5. Precreasing before folding the base is not allowed either.
6. As for blintzed bases, I prefer you not use them. I do not accept starting out with the traditional blintz base, with the four corners folded in, since that defeats the purpose of the challenge (ex. making a blintzed bird base or blintzed frog base to get more points by starting from a blintz base).
7. You may submit as many entries as you want, but only one entry per user may be chosen for judging.
8. If your base can be made by folding from the listed traditional bases, then yes it is allowed.
9. Previous designs made prior to this month are not accepted. It should be a new design made in this month.
10. Ray95, winner of last month's contest, will be the judge for this contest.

I'm not sure if this was done already...

Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Black~Terror on October 7th, 2011, 11:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My flickr here
-sebl-

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge: October 2011

Post by -sebl- »

a good subject I like it :wink:
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Is blintzing or stretching allowed? I would say that they form fairly standard bases but traditional might be pushing it.
Jakeplusplus

Post by Jakeplusplus »

What about hybrid bases like half bird half waterbomb? Is that allowed? I love this challenge. Even though these bases have yielded so many models so far, I feel their potential is nigh limitless!
May a thousand cranes issue forth from thy hands!
My Flickr
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

I feel that this is a good topic because it allows us to determine who can use show the greatest artistic expression using well known bases. It'll be fun
Eat. Sleep. Fold Paper.
Black~Terror

Post by Black~Terror »

chris_t wrote:Is blintzing or stretching allowed? I would say that they form fairly standard bases but traditional might be pushing it.
At first, I was going to consider blintz base, but I didn't put it in since it yields a square, and I thought it would defeat the purpose of the challenge, which is to explore how to fold given various different shapes.
Jakeplusplus wrote:What about hybrid bases like half bird half waterbomb? Is that allowed? I love this challenge. Even though these bases have yielded so many models so far, I feel their potential is nigh limitless!
1. I don't think a "half bird half waterbomb" base is even possible.

2. I have seen bases that looked like "half frog half bird" bases. They are allowed, since you can probably make them from a preliminary base.
My flickr here
Jakeplusplus

Post by Jakeplusplus »

Black~Terror wrote:
Jakeplusplus wrote:What about hybrid bases like half bird half waterbomb? Is that allowed? I love this challenge. Even though these bases have yielded so many models so far, I feel their potential is nigh limitless!
1. I don't think a "half bird half waterbomb" base is even possible.

2. I have seen bases that looked like "half frog half bird" bases. They are allowed, since you can probably make them from a preliminary base.
Sorry, I meant half a blintzed bird base and half a waterbomb. Would that be acceptable since it can be acomplished by outside reversing two of the waterbomb flaps?
May a thousand cranes issue forth from thy hands!
My Flickr
Black~Terror

Post by Black~Terror »

@Jake - Based on my... experiments, I guess a half blintz bird/waterbomb base works from starting out with a waterbomb base.

If your desired base can be made by starting out with a traditional base, then yes, that base in question is allowed.
My flickr here
Alexorigami

Post by Alexorigami »

Wonderful challenge, I might enter. Are we allowed to use blintzed bases? That is, you make a blintz base, then you fold the other base, like bird, frog, etc? Also, what about offset bases?
Black~Terror

Post by Black~Terror »

@Alex - I'm probably not going to accept blintzed bases, because those count as grafts in my opinion, and I didn't allow grafted bases in this competition.

The only exceptions to blintzed traditional bases is if it can be made by starting from a traditional base. As an example, the blintzed bird base is acceptable, since it could technically be made from crimping the four flaps on the waterbomb flaps. For other things... then you'll have to see if you can make it from starting with a traditional base.

As for offset bases, if I'm thinking what you're thinking, then no, that's not allowed.

I'm going to edit them in the rules.
My flickr here
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Origamists have been using blintzed traditional bases for many years and at some point they were if not as popular, almost as popular. There is even a crab made from a double blintzed frog base.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Brimstone wrote:Origamists have been using blintzed traditional bases for many years and at some point they were if not as popular, almost as popular. There is even a crab made from a double blintzed frog base.
The crab in question is Yoshizawa's and falls distinctly outside the realm of traditional origami. They were popularized (AFIK) in modern origami. A blintz base (not blintzed, just folding the corners in), however, is indeed a traditional base. It is up to the judges what is allowed, but come on people, stretching the rules to include anything defeats the point of the challenge. IMO, if you fold a waterbomb base then crimp it into a blintzed bird base, you are using a blintzed bird base as the base, not a waterbomb. It is how the base functions in relation to the finished model that defines it, not where it came from (i.e. if you fold a waterbomb base into a blintzed bird base, you are really just using a blintzed bird base, not a waterbomb).
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Fold a bird base, thin the middle point, split it in four and you're close to this :

mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Assaf

Post by Assaf »

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum. I like working with the traditional bases, so I figured this will be a good first submission. I made a dragon and ghost rider, with colour changes, from a waterbomb base:

I designed the legs to be drawn next to the body, as in mid-flight. If you park the dragon on its tail, it looks like a sitting dog :-)
And finally, the rider is shaped with little legs and sleeves. I'm still considering the best way there.

Because I'm new to this, I'd love a little feedback.
Julien Gritte

Post by Julien Gritte »

excellent walrus, Gachepapier. It circles the 2 points of the subject: a base & his interpretation.