Satoshi kamiya spinosaurus

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
orislater
Buddha

Re: Satoshi kamiya spinosaurus

Post by orislater »

holy crap! he gave us an updated version of a model this time!!! thats so cool usually he simplifies them but it sounds like he made it better just for us :D
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

what is a good type of paper for this this. i was thinking of VOG paper but the stck ran out before i got any
:(
i was thinking of buying green lotka paper or tissue-foil from origami-shop
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

Buy shoyu paper from roze.co.uk. It's thin,folds crisply and comes in many sizes. The shoyu 'gold' paper is especially beautiful, gold on one side and whatever colour on the other. What's more the store is uk-based so if you live in the uk postage is cheap and fast. Otherwise international shipping rates are very fair.
Sroge4

Post by Sroge4 »

Does it require MC, or is it foldable right away?
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

It folds like a thin kami (50gsm) and is suitable to fold relatively complex models such as satoshi's tanuki without the aid of mc. Although for more complex models with more layers that that you may want to use mc for shaping.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

by all appearances, it may be that shoyu and the VOG chinese crumpling paper are basically the same thing. one cannot purchase shoyu in squares larger than 25 cm, so it seems unsuitable for super complex models unless you like them on the smaller side.
origamibrent814

Post by origamibrent814 »

Hey guys, im having trouble with the diagram for kamiyas spinosaurus. Specifically around step 85. I very rarely cant interpret a diagram but I am not sure what those little stick drawings he has represent, and any way I repeat 82-84 twice will not yield the result shown in step 86. Its a problem with repeating the step, not the step itself. Anyone care to try and explain or possibly make photo diagrams? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Hi I'm doing this right now. As indicated on the diagrams you are repeating the pleat sink that was done in steps 82- 84. I'm assuming you were able to do those steps (?). For Step 85 firstly open up the bottom most pleat. You need to sink the mountain fold that is facing you between the two vertical mountain folds produced in step 79. The reversing of the mountain fold will extend past the vertical mountain folds until you reach the next valley folds (just as was needed in step 83). The important thing to realise is that in sinking this section you will need to introduce a new mountain fold below the mountain fold that you are sinking. Once you have sunk this section close up the model. First time I did this I was also confused for a moment - I was thinking I had to sink the crease above the one that actually needs sinking. You then repeat all this on the next pleat (note carefully in step 85 which two pleats are being sunk). Hope that helped.
origamibrent814

Post by origamibrent814 »

That actually helped quite a bit!!! I didnt even think to add an additonal mountain fold. I was able to easily finish the rest of the model, and it came out pretty good. Folded with 10 inch foil with the white side out so it isnt too impressive, but its good enough for me :D
jakea

Post by jakea »

Hi can you help me with the step 87 of satoshi kamiya spinosaurus. I dont anderstand it. And if possible tell me the translated step to english.( on tanteidan con. 17 it is only on japanese)
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

The small diagonal folds are just making creases for the next step (step 88), and you are also folding the lower pleat down (it will not lie flat at the edges). In step 88 you then flatten the model, using the diagonal folds you precreased in step 87 to help. I'm afraid I don't know the translation for the step, but I hope that helps. :)
jakea

Post by jakea »

And step 97? Is that a closed sink or something else?
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

It looks like 97 is just bringing a layer in front, making it so the pleats in that area are evenly spaced. I think that's equivalent to closed sinking, then turning over and folding the flap you closed sinked up (so it looks like step 88).