Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Fishgoth

Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2009

Post by Fishgoth »

As a standby judge, I'm setting the challenge for August 2009. A lot of the recent challenges have been won by some highly complex pieces, so I'm going to set something much simpler...

The contest is 'Kamiya Satoshi in less than 30 steps'. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a subject that complex designers, such as Satoshi, have designed. And fold your interpretation in 30 folds or less. It can be an Ancient dragon, a winged neptune beetle, a Ryu Zin, a Stegosaurus, a Cyclometus metalifer beetle, a Nekobus, a Kraken attacking a ship, a Black forest cuckoo clock ... you get the idea.

As an idea, here is an interpretation of 'Ancient Dragon' using only 29 steps - this is basically a preliminary base strip grafted onto a stretched bird base.

http://fishgoth.com/misc/dragon-simple.JPG

The rules:
1) Sunburst is the judge. Sunburst's decision is final.
2) One square, no cuts, no glue.
3) Any material you like. Craft squares or Kami are probably best.
4) Thirty folds maximum. Sunburst will judge if you are telling fibs.
5) A 'fold' is essentially a straight forward step on a diagram. It can be a valley fold, a mountain fold, a reverse fold, a petal fold or a sink. It should not be 'repeat steps 15-29 on the other side'. It should not be a series of multiple box-pleated sinks. I'm sure you get the idea.
6) You can basically fold any model you like, but bonus points will go to folders who re-interpret a model well known for being complex. Look at the list above; there are plenty of well known designed by Kamiya Satoshi, Robert Lang, Hideo Komatsu, Fumiaki Kawahata, and so on.
7) You only have 30 steps, so you will have to find cunning ways to interpret insect legs, wings, tentacles, spines, clock hands, etc.
8) No drawing on details, no painting. You are only allow a square or one or two colours.
9) Try to keep comments on this thread to a minimum. We want to see entries, not 'Wow, thats grate!!!'.
10) Please let us know the model that inspired you, ie 'Satoshi's Ancient Dragon'.
11) Please let us know how many steps your model took, and roughly describe how you folded it.
12) You can enter as many times as you like.
13) Only include models that you folded for this contest! Please don't enter a model for which a photo already exists on this forum or elsewhere on the web.

Good luck everyone. If you haven't entered this contest before, give it a go! Everyone has only 30 (or less) folds to design a model, so the playing field should be levelled a bit...
Last edited by Fishgoth on August 5th, 2009, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

How do we prove it's only 30 steps and no more?
Do we have to draw diagrams to accompany the model?
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

Do dry tension folding (curving the paper with creases), wet folding, and shaping count as folds
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

So is it 30 steps or 30 folds? You keep skipping between those two terms.

Most of Brian Chan's models are only 3 steps according to himself:
Precrease, collapse and shape :lol:
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Origami8 - See rule 4. You need to convince Sunburst ;-)

Ted385 - see rule 5. If you could describe the fold/step in a single diagram, then I guess it counts as a step. John Montroll uses 'Shape to form leg, but do not double rabbit ear fold' as a step in many of his diagrams.

Daydreamer - see rule 5. This defines what a 'step' and a 'fold' is. i.e., could you produce a diagram with 30 or fewer steps, without the use of 'sink in the ten places shown' or 'repeat steps 12-28 on the next fourteen layers'?

Basically, the challenge is - refold a well know complex model as a simple / low intermediate alternative!
Elboberto7

Post by Elboberto7 »

Heres my submission, Floating pelican

The pictures dont do much for it and it is only my first fold and please tell me if it has more than 30 folds. I will probably make another submission if not many.
:P hope you like it!
--Nick
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

Okay, i have several questions too.

1) "Precrease" is a fold?
And for example i need to make a base (see below). How do i have to count a folds then? Every precrease (4) + collapsing (1) = 5?

2) "Unfold everything" step is a fold?

3) And what about "Collapse again" in other m/v? I mean collapsing a bigger pattern than a upper base pattern.

Thank You.
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
Cephalopod

Post by Cephalopod »

Elboberto7 wrote:Heres my submission, Floating pelican
where's the well known complex version of it? 8)

This is a cool challenge, I might join in...
Visit my flickr gallery! Please :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38104997@N08/
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

I counted precreases as folds in my 'Ancient Dragon' model. For the preliminary base, I'd count that as either three or four folds (depending on whether you use a second diagonal or not), and a traditional bird base as five or six (preliminary base, plus two petal folds).

Not sure about famous pelicans...

Edit : There was Jason Ku's pelican in Tandeidan 12; I take my last statement back :-)
Last edited by Fishgoth on August 5th, 2009, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elboberto7

Post by Elboberto7 »

oh ya theres supposed to be a famous model thats more complex, haha i forgot about that, i will make a new model today or tomarrow that fits the requirments :lol:

and i did not make a preliminary or a bird base
--Nick
Donya

Post by Donya »

Sorry to bend rule 9 by adding more thread clutter. I feel I have a good grasp on the task at hand and am quite excited about it, but I have one forum-newbie question since I haven't done one of these before (I checked the FAQ first, but didn't see an answer). I saw in some of the other monthly challenges that one was allowed to post multiple models throughout the month. Is that true this month, or is it one per person?

Thanks in advance. I promise my next post will have a model in it. 8)
Elboberto7

Post by Elboberto7 »

I came up with something new its a very simple rose

side view

completely unfolded

And this is based off of the kawasakai rose
--Nick
Finward

Post by Finward »

Designed and photographed five minutes ago... Blue whale
Ok, ill try something more serious next time, but i like the heading of this challenge.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Ah, people are getting the idea - so far, we have a Kawasaki rose in probably less that 10 fold, and a Satoshi blue whale in only a few folds. Everyone else get the idea?

Joseph Wu's 'One fold stegosaurus' would be the ultimate interpretation of this challenge.

Donya - you can enter as many times as you like, although spam will probably irritate the judge ;-)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

In the past, people have submitted multiple entries and it does not hurt your chances to do so. If you find a lot of inspiration in this challenge, then that is fantastic!