SCUBA diving

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
Adam

SCUBA diving

Post by Adam »

I went to Pulau Tioman recently and obtained two SCUBA diving certificates there. I'm planning to go back to the island within the next couple of weeks and I'd like to bring an Origami SCUBA diver as a gift for my instructor.

Would anyone happen to know any SCUBA diver models, or perhaps some models for SCUBA equipment? A Google search only came up with a single relevant result (a simple model which is only available for purchase).

Alternatively, if such a model is not available, would anyone have any suggestions how I could try to design such a model?

Thanks in advance.
dustink101

Post by dustink101 »

I dont know of any origami scuba divers or scuba gear but you could make your instructor an origami fish.

Hope this helps!
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

I don't know if this helps but you could try making a simple box-pleated person and instead of crimping the feet you could spread them out and shape them into flippers. If you're not a purist then you could use multiple sheets to make a tank and a mask. That's the easiest way I can think of...

EDIT:
Here's a human base
http://spinflipper.com/blog/?p=47
In this base you could stretch the center flap for a tank, I believe, and stretch the feet into flippers.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the input!

I've still got a couple of weeks before I go back to Tioman, so during that time I will try to design a SCUBA diver using the CP you provided, Flame_Kurosei (it was not quite as difficult to collapse as I had imagined). Even if I don't manage to finish my design in time, the CP may very well come in handy in the future. Thanks for posting it!

If that doesn't work out in time, I'm probably going to a nice looking stingray, barracuda or perhaps a loggerhead turtle (or maybe a Nudibranch?), since those animals can be spotted near the vicinity of Tioman. :)
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Scuba Diver by blue paper, on Flickr

Scuba Diver CP by blue paper, on Flickr
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

You're welcome adam, I'm very glad I could help. :D
I don't know if sting rays and manta rays are the same thing (I know they're the same family) but there's a manta ray you could fold by Quentin Trollip (link below). It's a really nice, (I think) easy intermediate piece to fold, that has a great result!
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/450477/Manta%20 ... rollip.pdf