Paper choice

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
kingdomwinds

Paper choice

Post by kingdomwinds »

I have enjoyed using craft paper until recently. I just realized that craft paper is awful for models that have lots of layers. It is also weak and has a tendency to develop holes.

Is there a paper that is cheap, thin, durable, and available in 30 inches or more? I know that the best paper to use is origamido paper but that is a bit expensive.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Try tissue foil. The only thing is you'd have to make your own :) There are plently of topics on this forum if you want to learn how.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

i thought about tissue paper but most places only sell 20x30 and i need at least 30x30 inches.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

One tissue paper alone isn't any good, you have to resize it and take at least two layers (that's my favourite paper at the moment :D).

Here's how to do:
First of all you need (non-bleeding) tissue paper and methyl cellulose. The first one you will get in paper shops the second one in building centres under brand names like "Methylan". If you don't find it ask for wallpaper glue. Methyl Cellulose is a white powder. Mix it with water until it gets the consistency of albumen (read the tutorial that comes with the glue, you can always make it thinner afterwards by adding some water or thicker by adding some powder, just try what consistency works the best for you).
Now you need a flat surface. The glass plate of a frameless picture frame works good, but you can take something else as well. Take one tissue paper and lay it flat on your surface, try to avoid crinkles. Then take a soft brush and apply the mc on the paper. Afterwards take a second sheet of tissue paper and roll it over the first one (roll it onto a tube or broomstick first). Add a second film of mc. Let the whole thing dry over night (or at least until it's completely dry).
Pull the paper from the surface and cut it to the desired size.

For further questions look here and here.

I haven't tried yet to make larger sheets, but it should be possible. What you would need would be a very large surface and lets say four sheets of tissue paper. Apply the first two next two each other and let them overlap a little bit. Then apply the next two sheets in crossed direction, I think that should work.

Edit:
It is easier and you will get less wrinkles if you put both tissue papers on the glassplate and then apply the mc.
Last edited by origami_8 on June 18th, 2008, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

can this be done on a acrylic board? i don't like glass because it is heavy and has a huge risk of breaking. Also i live in the dorms so storage is crucial.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

If you're using pure MC or wallpaper paste, any non-fibrous surface will do. Just test it first with a small scrap of paper - put the stuff on, and see if it peels off.

Acrylic will work, as will polypropylene.
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

Will the paper be crisp and strong enough if i only used 1 sheet of tissue paper coated with MC?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I did some models from just one sheet of tissue paper resized with MC before. While it works much better than just folding the tissue paper without MC it's still rather difficult to fold. You can get some very thin flaps in the end though and wet-shaping the model works quite well.
I still prefer a double layer of tissue paper though. It's so much nicer to fold.

Here some pictures of models I folded from one resized tissue paper.

ImageImage
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Watusa

Post by Watusa »

the secretary bird is very nice daydreamer :)

i have yet to try it..
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

i guess ill go double then. I have a question. Is the MC suppose to be watery? I just put half a tbl spoon of it in a cup of cold water. It is very watery. Is this suppose to turn to goo?
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

how much tble spoons is ideal in a cup of water? Is this stuff suppose to be very viscus or watery?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, take a sheet of tissue paper and try until you get the right consistency, not too watery and not too gooey. What works best for you you have to try on your own and remember that you can always add some water or powder to your glue to change the consistency to your wish. After the first few tries you will know what you need.
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

i dont have a tube so i can only make 1 sheet mc treated paper. My paper is not crisp even after doing the mc treating. Is the paper suppose to be crisp and stiffer? Mine is not.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

With only one sheet of tissue paper you won't notice much difference during folding. The main difference will come at the end when you wetfold the different parts. The tips get really strong after drying.

There are other ways to get a 2-sheet paper as well.

You can for example put the 2 sheets of paper over each other from the beginning and apply the MC on top so that it soaks through both layers. You will need a bit more MC when doing so.

And there's another method proposed by Wolf here:
viewtopic.php?p=9305#9305
I've never tried this method though so I can't tell if it works well for MC.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

I will definitely try that with the two sheets. sounds like a good idea.