Satoshi Kamiya - Crane

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
moman

Satoshi Kamiya - Crane

Post by moman »

Diagrams in Tanteidan magazine 110.

I'm having trouble with the sink in step 35 (I don't get a clean sink and end up with messy wings) and a very hard time with step 137...how are you supposed to tuck those two flaps into the neck? what is the mountain fold for. Its impossible, leading me to do the unforgivable; use tape!!
can anyone help...even a simple translation of the Japanese text would be good
thanx
Last edited by moman on May 27th, 2009, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhisperPuffin

Post by WhisperPuffin »

I've got the same problem.... :?
Bibbleyboopalah!

A Whisper of Puffins (my Flickr)
moman

Post by moman »

thats funny ive got the same problem...isnt there anyone out there?? :P
Terranova

Post by Terranova »

35: This one is REALLY hard to explain. It looks like a perfectly normal accordion/crimp sink, but it's not. There's an angled fold hidden deep in it where the outside layer meets the really messy inside layer. It took me a while to get it, and I still can't get it perfect every time. Just make the valley folds in step 34 as strong as you can, and see where the creases on the inside line up. I'm really sorry I can't explain this any better :( someone else probably can, though!

137: I don't think they're supposed to get tucked in anywhere. The diagram shows you mountain-folding the flaps up into the neck, but in the next step the same mountain folds are only shown as creases. I think you're just supposed to slide them upwards and mountain fold the ends of the flaps so that they cover up the gap between the neck and chest, not to explicitly tuck them in somewhere. (It would be in Kamiya's style to do something abstract like this in the final shaping of the model, too.)

There's a fair chance I am COMPLETELY wrong with both, but that's what I do. Hope it helps! :oops:
Don't make me get metaphorical with you.
moman

Post by moman »

wow great help terranova i hadnt paid attention to step 138. youre right, seems like the two flaps arent actually tucked in, because there are crease lines indicating the mountain folds in the previous step...i guess its just supposed to stand there. looks like im gonna have to refold this one and also try my luck once again with step 35 as well. the tip you gave on this step was also real enlightening. one more thing, now that youve helped me this far, can you also tell me what hes trying to say on steps 121 and 122? i would be grateful!
Terranova

Post by Terranova »

Valley fold the bottom layer and mountain fold the top layer so as to puff out the chest. You're almost making a tube-like structure out of the body in these steps. Squeezing the sides of the body in helps achieve this tube-like body.
Don't make me get metaphorical with you.
Ryuurin

Post by Ryuurin »

The diagrams are in the book called "World of Super Complex Origami", it's by Satoshi Kamiya and a few other origamists. But the problem for me is, everything is in Japanese, so I'm finding it pretty hard to fold. It's driving me nuts! I have made the Crane before though, but now I don't know why I can't seem to get past step 25-26. Some help would be greatly appreciated!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." - Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

Step 25 says "Crease along the line connecting the circled points"
I'm not exactly sure about step 26, but I think it says "Flatten/collapse on existing creases"

Also, step 26 looks like a swivel fold.

I don't suppose this is much help, since the diagrams aren't too difficult to understand, but there it is.

And, just for clarity, the diagrams in Tanteidan and WoSCO are the same up to step 35.
Ryuurin

Post by Ryuurin »

It's okay, and thanks! I guess step 25 isn't so hard, but step 26 is the problem... Oh well, thanks for translating though, it's a little help, but it's still going to help. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." - Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Ryuurin

Post by Ryuurin »

I'm now stuck at step 35. I know it says to open sink, but when I do I can't seem to flatten the model...
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

Ryuurin wrote:I'm now stuck at step 35. I know it says to open sink, but when I do I can't seem to flatten the model...
See here.
Ryuurin

Post by Ryuurin »

Ah sorry! I didn't notice that earlier on... ><
My apologies!
claireorigami

Re: Satoshi Kamiya - Crane

Post by claireorigami »

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and now I'm trying to fold this fantastic crane by Satoshi Kamiya. Anyway, I know that this problem has already been discussed before but I really can't get how to make steps from 34 to 38. It's the third time that I'm doing all the folding again but I'm still stuck at this point and I really can't get over it. I've read the instructions given by Terranova about this step, but what I can't get is: what type of crease do I have to do and where exactly? How do I get from step 35 to 36 and so on until step 38? This drawings on Tanteidan magazine's diagram are really unhelpful and so is japanese language............. I'm trying to make an art project with this model so please, can anybody help me? Thank you. #-o
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

claireorigami wrote:Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and now I'm trying to fold this fantastic crane by Satoshi Kamiya. Anyway, I know that this problem has already been discussed before but I really can't get how to make steps from 34 to 38. It's the third time that I'm doing all the folding again but I'm still stuck at this point and I really can't get over it. I've read the instructions given by Terranova about this step, but what I can't get is: what type of crease do I have to do and where exactly? How do I get from step 35 to 36 and so on until step 38? This drawings on Tanteidan magazine's diagram are really unhelpful and so is japanese language............. I'm trying to make an art project with this model so please, can anybody help me? Thank you. #-o
Sure, I'll be back in a while with some pic on how it's done. But first I got to eat lunch
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

Here you go:
http://imageshack.us/g/408/cranefoldingkey.jpg/

That shows step 33 - 38, with M/V guide, guiding arrows and stuff.