Robert Lang - Stag Beetle (Insects and Their Kin)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
shortloldude

Robert Lang - Stag Beetle (Insects and Their Kin)

Post by shortloldude »

I am having trouble with step 70 of the stag beetle on page 118. I can open up the model to make a rectangle, but I dont get the rabbit ears and such. My "result" was just folding the 6 legs up, which accomplished nothing.

before I open it up

http://img692.imageshack.us/i/dscf2235x.jpg/

The rectangle stretched. For this part I had just opened a sink created earlier. This is where i do not know what to do.

http://img692.imageshack.us/i/dscf2240.jpg/

Any help would be appreciated!!
strolgen

Post by strolgen »

In the opened rectangle you need to create the creases (they not not existing yet) as shown in the step 70 to allow you to collapse the rabbit hears.
I have to say that it is a tedious task since the model cannot be lay flat when doing the pre-creasing ... I usually start by creating valley fold -diagonal crease going from the lower left side of the rectangle to the upper right side of the rectangle, then the mountain fold come "naturally" as being the bisect angle of the newly created valley fold and edge of the rectangle. Anyway this is my interpretation of the diagram ... The six flaps will go a lot higher as you can see on step 72.

This is the first complex model I achieved and I m very proud of it.

Here mine ...
HS1

Robert Lang - Stag Beetle

Post by HS1 »

Hi
On Robert Lang's Stag Beetle in Origami Insects and Their Kin on pg. 118, I just completely do not understand steps 69-71. Help?
cjbnc

Re: Robert Lang - Stag Beetle

Post by cjbnc »

Search , and the sticky topic on Lang's models, are your friends.
viewtopic.php?t=6290
Good luck!
mixmastermarc16

Re: Robert Lang - Stag Beetle

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

i actually folded this model last night and was quite impressed with the results. the steps in question were tricky, but....first pull out the paper and correct the orientation of the flaps so that it looks like a rectangel from the side. none of this will lay flat so just try to make it resemble the next picture. then when you get to that point, form two rabbit ears to collapse the flap. do this while stretching the flaps as far as possible and they will almost form themselves. almost....you still have to guide the folds. hope that helps. good luck!