What is you favorite Origami book?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I'd probably have to say Works of Satoshi KAMIYA is my favorite. However, the models are often complicated and long, so I don't always feel like folding them
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

Origami Omnibus has been and always will be my favourite book...
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

Besides all of John Montroll's books, I like Origami Step-by-step by Robert Harbin the best. It has some interesting designs by Patricia Crawford.

The swan and the ship are my favourites from that book.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Absolutely agree, models of Pat Craford are fantastic.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

It's Peter Engel's Origami From Angelfish to Zen for me.
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I just got another book and it ties equal fisrt with Origami Omnibus...
That is 'Unit Polyhedoron Origami' by Tomoko Fuse.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

i forgot to mention tomoko fuse's amazing book 'the mask'.
lotsofsnails

Post by lotsofsnails »

Of the origami books I've purchased, my favourite, most cherished book is 'origami insects and their kin' by lang (it was one of my first origami books, i got it when i was about 7 and i cud only do a few of the models, but now i can do them all). I also think 'origami sea life' by montroll and lang is an amazing book.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

grizzly man wrote:i forgot to mention tomoko fuse's amazing book 'the mask'.
You can tell, because of your avatar :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

lotsofsnails wrote:Of the origami books I've purchased, my favourite, most cherished book is 'origami insects and their kin' by lang (it was one of my first origami books, i got it when i was about 7 and i cud only do a few of the models, but now i can do them all). I also think 'origami sea life' by montroll and lang is an amazing book.
Try Lang's Origami Insects II. :D
Kalami

Post by Kalami »

This morning I started a new thread about this theme - it was closed, because it's already there. :oops: But I have to say, that I did use the search-function. It was my fault, not looking up the whole list - I'm sorry!!
So now, I still whant to know more about yor books, that's why I'm reactivating this 3 years old thread.

Hi there,

looking around in the internet, you can see a lot of Origami-books. Different authors and different models... but which one is the best? I know, it's a matter of taste, that's why I'm not only wanting you to tell me your favourite book. Tell me a bit about it: How did you get this book (why did you buy it), what kind of folding do you like most, what kind of models are published in this book...
Maybe this can help someone to find a good book for the next shoping tour

My favourite Origami book is
Advanced Origami by Michael G. LaFosse (amazon.com)
I bought it, because I was looking for a book with fishes. Well there are only 2 models of fishes in this book, but they are really good! Beside other animal and floral models there are lot of informations about paper in it. You can learn how to fuse different papers an use it for special models.
My favourite model in this book is a butterfly. It's really good looking but simple enough, so you can fold it from a really small sheet of paper. Oh, I have no foto of it right now ... Well, I will take a picture an edit this post later, so you can have a look.

bye kalami
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

It's a tough choice for me. I have so few origami books, and they all have their good points.
For me it is a toss up between:
- Kasahara's Origami Made Easy, which was my first 'real' origami book, and was definitely my favourite for many years.

- Harbin's Origami 1 because it contains a couple of boats that are favourites of mine. The gondola or chinese junk in particular.

- Harbin's Origami 2 because of the Jackstone, which is a wonderful polyhedral model, even if the diagrams and folding sequence for it are a bit of a nightmare. (I folded it from the diagrams once, and then unfolded my result and learnt to fold it from the CP I had produced.

- Lang's Origami Design Secrets. For obvious reasons, this book has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me.
I haven't folded many of the models in it, but I've read all of the design theory, and while I don't fully understand all of it yet, what I do get has really helped me a lot in designing my own models.

I think ODS will have to stand as my favourite book at this time. The others have been well loved, and important landmarks in my origami development, but ODS has definitely had the most impact on me in recent times.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

My favourite Origami Book is "Origami to Astonish and Amuse" by Jeremy Shafer. It was one of the first books I bought over the Internet. I like it because it is so much more than only a book of instructions, it's fun. The text is very humorous yet informative. Every model is accompanied by a "thoughts behind the folds" box, that gives you insight in the design process and encourages you to play with the design and come up with your own models giving lots of interesting ideas. Nearly all of the models are action models, so you can play with them after folding. I love colourchanges and the models in this book contain a lot of them, giving you ideas how to incorporate them into your own models. The range of the models is from simple to low complex including something for everyone. The models in the book are very unusual, for example it's the first time I've seen an Origami nailclipper. If you want to know more about the book visit Jeremy's homepage where you can find a lot of sample diagrams and the complete picture index of the book: http://barf.cc/

Other books I especially like are:
Papirofauna - J. Aníbal Voyer
Amazing Animals, Perfect Shot - Katsuhisa Yamada
A Plethora of Polyhedra - John Montroll
African Animals in Origami - John Montroll
Passion Origami - Nicolas Terry
Origami Complete - Eric Kenneway
Brilliant Origami - Dave Brill
Pfiffiges Origami - Paulo Mulatinho
Origami , Step by Step - Robert Harbin
Origami Para Interpretes - Román Díaz

There are many many more great books but I think out of my library these are my favourites. For those of you missing Origami Design Secrets, its a fantastic book but nothing I fold from too often, but it's sure worth having.
plastgeek

Post by plastgeek »

My all-time favorite is Origami Sculptures by Montroll, but I love all of his books (except for the Polyhedra one)
I also like Lang's and Nicholas Terry's book as well.
SpecialOrigami

Post by SpecialOrigami »

Hmmmm.... ill have to go with Satoshi Kamiya's book "Works of Satoshi Kamiya." Because i like the outcome and beauty of the models.
Last edited by SpecialOrigami on May 12th, 2009, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Origami Lions, tigers, and dragons OH MY!