Monthly Folding Challenge- September 2007

Friendly design and folding competitions.
ori-gauthier

Post by ori-gauthier »

very nice cupcake!
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

A couple of late entries!

1) Bushy Park Stag. It is rutting time at the moment, so loads of male stags are about in Bushy Park. I wanted to design a closed-back model, and here it is.

Crease pattern (scanned from pencil sketch)

I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

2) Woolly Rhino. Again,I tried to get a nice closed back design, and wanted to emphasise the massive shoulders these prehistoric creatures had. The model is a lot simpler than in looks, and make very efficient use of the paper - the model is roughly 2/3 the length of the diagonal of the square it started out from!

Photo of crease pattern

I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

Results:

After a months passing with the submission of various original and creative designs, here are the winners for September's Horned Animal Theme.

3rd Place: Fishgoth's Bushy Park Stag. Awesome antlers, and the closed back was a nice touch to add realism. Is there any way to make the antlers change colour??? Also sensational job on the Rhino

2nd Place: MrBluePie's Simple Rhino. This will go to show that detailed representation in a subject is not always a key identifier in winning. I've selected this model due to its accessibility for it to be folded by children and yet clearly resembling the profile of a Rhino. Nevertheless there is potential converting the folds to make this a pureland model.This is what I would love to see.

(Drum Roll.....Scroll down for the winner.)

1st Place: Frucco for his superb detailed Cow model. Excellent face and body features. Frucco also has submited numerous other works on the subject. Very nice and detailed I must say. Would love to see diagrams for your works.

Special Mention also goes to 4sigma for sucessfully folding Lang's BFCC ; a daunting task but brilliantly executed. Well done.

Good job everyone. Now lets focus on the task for October's theme: Combination Folding Frucco will be the deciding judge on this since he's won this month's challenge. Good job Frucco
frucco

all the credit and congratulations to David please

Post by frucco »

The fold of the cow was not by my, was of my friend David LLanque of the group “Origami Arequpa” www.origamiarequipa.tk
Single I put his images in this forum….

all the credit and congratulations to David please, are the creator of the cow… Congratulations David

Deivisavi@hotmail.com

Frucco
Mobeplex
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Fishgoth's deer is amazing for one reason: the ears. He managed to put the ears behind the antlers. Look at the deer of Robert Lang, Satoshi Kamiya, etc. and note that they all put the ears in front of the antlers, since it's so easy to get small flaps in front (think partial frog base). He also got great legs on a closed-back model, instead of those stupid looking ones that come from underneath. And he gets plus-points from me for actually making his crease pattern follow the rules of flat-foldability. Great job!