New information

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
colin31

New information

Post by colin31 »

Okay, I was at a resturant like a week ago, and I was folding napkins heh but I was unaware I was being watched while I was making a crane , then after a while an elderly lady walks up to me and asks if I would make her origami to put on display in her shops.

now my question, I'm going to make about 15 models. Any recommendations on what to fold? Diagrams greatly appreciated.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I moved this question into the diagrams section.
Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

cool..

I think Kawasaki's Rose is a must. Right?
it's something that almost everyone can relate to. Or other roses would be great too. :D :D
There are lots of video instructions on youtube if you search for them.
or this one:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/463338/ho ... gami_rose/

That's all I can think for now.. :P

Good luck!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Something to think about is copyrights. I am not sure exactly what technicalities apply to your situation, but you may need to credit the authors of the models you are folding and/or ask for permission and/or not be allowed to display them publicly (especially in a commercial shop like you said). I would try to find out about the legal stuff before going through with it. Or just design your own models.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Jonnycakes wrote:Something to think about is copyrights. I am not sure exactly what technicalities apply to your situation, but you may need to credit the authors of the models you are folding and/or ask for permission and/or not be allowed to display them publicly (especially in a commercial shop like you said). I would try to find out about the legal stuff before going through with it. Or just design your own models.
You're just folding stuff to be displayed, as something cute/cool/pretty to look at. You may want to make a card saying what you've folded, that you folded them, and who the authors were, but beyond that, it's your folding, and your choice of display locale. It's not like you're selling them.

As for what to fold, fold things that look nice and neat. Geometrics are always nice-looking. Montroll, Komatsu, Nishikawa, Kawasaki are good authors for other works. Unless you are very skilled and able to fold nice and neat and clean, Satoshi Kamiya and Robert Lang types are ones to stay away from.

Go with like a Montroll horse, Kawasaki anything, Nishikawa Space shuttle, etc.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Try:

http://members.aol.com/ukpetd/ Click on Diagrams for Traditional models

http://pem.org/origami/ Videos from LaFosse

http://www.happyfolding.com/ diagrams and videos..

- Hank Simon
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

origamimasterjared wrote:
Jonnycakes wrote:Something to think about is copyrights. I am not sure exactly what technicalities apply to your situation, but you may need to credit the authors of the models you are folding and/or ask for permission and/or not be allowed to display them publicly (especially in a commercial shop like you said). I would try to find out about the legal stuff before going through with it. Or just design your own models.
You're just folding stuff to be displayed, as something cute/cool/pretty to look at. You may want to make a card saying what you've folded, that you folded them, and who the authors were, but beyond that, it's your folding, and your choice of display locale. It's not like you're selling them.
Can't be too safe with that kind of stuff, though...I suppose you are probably right, but I don't know too much about copyright laws so I tend to be overly wary of possible infringements. But if she pays you for your work...